Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Unindent using shift-tab

Unindent using shift-tab

Postby 16bytes on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Unindent using shift-tab doesn't seem to work. I upgraded to 2101 from 2099 and am running on windows 7 64-bit because it looked like 2101 had a fix for unindent, but it still didn't work for me.

Triggering the unindent option from the edit menu works, however.

Also, is there a custom keybinding dialog somewhere, or would I have to add that to a global user-preference file?
16bytes

Re: Unindent using shift-tab

Postby C0D312 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:19 pm

In your user file settings add:
Code: Select all
"shift_tab_unindent": true

or set "shift_tab_unindent" to true in your default file settings.
C0D312

Postby 16bytes on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:51 pm

In your user file settings add: "shift_tab_unindent": true

Hmmm... tried that in both the global default and user files and that didn't work. Why wouldn't that be turned on by default anyway?
16bytes

Postby adzenith on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:51 pm

By default you have to have a new-line in your selection in order for shift-tab to unindent. This option makes it so that the unindenting happens regardless of whether there's a new-line in the selection.
adzenith

Postby 16bytes on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 pm

By default you have to have a new-line in your selection in order for shift-tab to unindent

I'm not sure that that is a sensible default. Under Edit->Line, Unindent = Shift-Tab. Why should it be context specific (i.e. when there is a new-line in the selection)? If there's no other function for shift-tab, then disabling it in certain circumstances is counter-intuitive. If I want to unindent a line I would have to hit ctrl-l to select the whole line, then shift-tab to unindent. It's a whole other key-chord that is unnecessary.

It also violates the law of least surprise. I can't think of another "smart" editor where shift-tab doesn't always unindent (no matter where you are in a line).

Besides, setting that option didn't seem to work. Is there anything else I can try?
16bytes

Postby iamntz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:49 pm

It also violates the law of least surprise. I can't think of another "smart" editor where shift-tab doesn't always unindent (no matter where you are in a line).

Coda? Dreamweaver? And i think Textmate too :)

Actually, this behavior is for jumping to previous snippet cursor position (when it need). I think is a reminiscence of the past, because now works ok.
iamntz

Postby 16bytes on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Coda? Dreamweaver? And i think Textmate too

Good points; I haven't used those much. Not sure if this is a windows vs. mac os convention. Notepad++, Eclipse, and Visual Studio will all unindent with shift-tab at the beginning of a line

Actually, this behavior is for jumping to previous snippet cursor position (when it need)

I can understand having shift-tab differ depending on context (such as filling in snippet fields), but in plain default mode, I don't think it makes sense to turn off shift-tab=unindent. Why would you want shift-tab to act the same as tab, especially when the unindent command is listed as being bound to shift-tab in the menu?

Is that not a bug, especially when setting
"shift_tab_unindent": true

doesn't work?
16bytes

Postby iamntz on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:23 am

if that doesn't work you can add this in your shortcut file and should work:
{ "keys": ["shift+tab"], "command": "unindent" },
{ "keys": ["shift+tab"], "command": "prev_field", "context":[
{ "key": "has_prev_field", "operator": "equal", "operand": true }
]}
iamntz

Postby 16bytes on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks iamntz, that does indeed work. Is there a link for the 2.0 documentation of the key-binding and settings JSON?
16bytes

Postby christoz on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 am

where is the "shortcut file"?
thank you
christoz

Next

Return to Technical Support