Sublime Forum

Possible to hide menu on Linux?

Please add this funcionality, not being able to hide the menu make ST2 less awesome.

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

I would like to have this as well.

0 Likes

On Ubuntu 11.10, because of Unity’s global menu, ST2 basically functions as if you had the menu disabled in both fullscreen and distraction-free mode. Hardly a fix, I know.

0 Likes

+1, also vote!

sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/9 … -on-linux/

0 Likes

+1
Hi all. Now you can use http://pastie.org/3924308, but this have some troubles with sublime.

0 Likes

+1 Vote for it on Uservoice

0 Likes

I would like to see this feature on linux as well.

0 Likes

+1
Maybe adding an option to completely disable menu bar would be easier than some advanced auto-hiding solutions?

0 Likes

I see that on the main page for linux users, we see sublime on ubuntu without a menu bar. Is there some secret option that we are not aware of?

0 Likes

More than a year has passed since I’ve posted about this issue (it really is an issue).
I believe this needs to be addressed, so do 66 other users (and probably more who haven’t bothered voting).
At the very minimum we should know if\when this will be implemented.

Thank you

0 Likes

so, it fixed?

0 Likes

Alas, no.

0 Likes

Hello to the developer.

Please, please bring this feature to the linux folks out there!

What is the issue anyway? Some major linux obstacle that just isn’t feasible to implement? Please at least let us know!

Thanks!

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

+1

I bought a license and i’m really happy with Sublime after ten years of developpement with vim. But with a tilling window manager, it’s annoying to not be able to hide the menu.

0 Likes

Still no possibility to hide the menu… It would be so awesome to hide it on Linux !

But I have a question, on the demonstration “gif” from the homepage, it looks like Ubuntu, and the menu is hidden. Any explanation ?

0 Likes

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7843&p=33121&hilit=front+page#p33087

0 Likes

Hi guys,
I managed to find a simple solution for Linux users who use Gnome3, Cinnamon or other Gnome based desktop.

If you are using Gnome3, you can get a global menu like the one in Unity, and you will not see the menu bar on the top. See the instructions here.

If you are using Cinnamon (like I do), the things are a little bit more complicated, as there is no global menu for Cinnamon. So, open the link above, and complete the first 4 steps (downloading and compiling global menu). From this point, you can hide the menu for all your GTK apps (not recommended from my point of view) by pasting this line into your terminal:

extern GTK_MODULES=globalmenu-gtk

The better alternative is to hide the menu bar only for sublime text, so you can open sublime text using this command:

GTK_MODULES=globalmenu-gtk /usr/lib/sublime-text-2/sublime_text

(I installed Sublime Text through ppa, this is why I have this path, but in case you just downloaded it, replace /usr/lib/sublime-text-2/sublime_text with the path to the executable)

It is easier to create an executable with this command, so you don’t have to paste it all the time. For example, I created two executables for Sublime Text, one that opens it with the menu bar, and the other one that opens it without the menu bar.

0 Likes

Hello, thank you for this amazing tool.

Can you make hide menu option for GTK2 like it made in pidgin-guiops?
This plugin open-source, you can look at code.
There is no “hide menu” parameter in GTK specs, but you can set null as menu widget height!
Here is part of code:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12532926/Screens/848995734.png
Here is result:
Window with menu
Window without menu
But really it’s 1px menu!
(is there spoiler mod on this forum?)

0 Likes