Sublime Forum

Working with hindi text

Hi,

I’m trying to paste some Hindi into my UTF-8 file but all I get are squares when I do. If I paste the same text into WordPad they display correctly. I’ve tried with v1 and v2 of sublime, and I’m on Windows XP.

The text is: खेल

Help please :smile:

0 Likes

Sublime Text 2 uses GDI for rendering the characters - getting a square is generally an indication that no suitable glyph is found for the code point. It may be that you’re missing the fonts required. Does notepad (rather than WordPad) render the text correctly for you?

The characters are rendering for me on Windows 7, although with the caveat that combining characters (as the middle codepoint in the text is) aren’t rendered as they really should be (they’re treated as individual characters).

0 Likes

Notepad also fails to render the characters. I thought that they would display correctly on the page, if I just save the file but they get displayed as squares there too (if I output the same text that comes from a DB then it displays correctly on the page).
I’ll try on my windows 7 machine when I get back to the office if there is no other solution …

0 Likes

Looks like everything is OK on Windows 7 :smile:

0 Likes

Windows 7 installs many different fonts by default. With Windows XP you need to install Indic and such fonts separately (at least when using an English version of Windows).

See mkhalsa.com/lit/indic.html for the steps you need to take.

0 Likes