Sublime Forum

Files opening in new windows

Something that has bothered me was a change made a few revisions ago where the windows always open up a new instance of the editor when I open a new file from the Finder.

It used to just add a tab to the existing window, which is the behavior I’m expecting. Is there a way to go back to the way it used to handle files? This change kinda messes with my workflow.

0 Likes

It’s a global user setting

"open_files_in_new_window": true,

Just change to false.

0 Likes

I’m running sublime text 2 beta build 2126 on fedora 13 with kde.
I changed "open_files_in_new_window": true, to "open_files_in_new_window": false,
But each time I open a file using dolphin a new instance is still created !
Is it a bug or do I have to change another setting ?

regards

0 Likes

By running sublime from a terminal session I got the following error message :
libgio version is less than 2.26, single instance support disabled

I searched in the package manager and there’s no libgio.
Do you know in which package it’s included ?

0 Likes

I can’t update the glib2 package for F13 but I think it is possible to use single instance even with glib 2.24.
I also use geany editor which is based on Gtk+ as well and the single instance mode works fine !

0 Likes

I can’t seem to switch off the new window behaviour in OSX. I have “open_files_in_new_window”: false in my preferences, but opening a file from Finder still opens a new window regardless. (Using 2126.) Is this a known bug, or have I set something wrong?

0 Likes

I had the same issue. I found this and it solved the issue for me:

I copy and paste below:

This was one of the biggest annoyances for me when switching over from coda. Whenever I would drag a file into the sublime dock icon it would open a brand new instance of sublime when I just wanted to view it along with the rest of my files. Turns out this is a super simple fix.
HitCommand + Shift + P to bring up the sublime launcher type “user global settings and hit enter. This file is similar to a .vimrc file and holds all of your custom settings. This file wont be written over when you upgrade like default global settings. Once you have this file open, add the following line:
“open_files_in_new_window”: false

0 Likes

Yeah, I had to ask on user echo before I got an answer to this. It turns out the open_files_in_new_window setting has to go in Global Settings - User, **not **File Settings - User (which is the file you get when you hit Cmd+,). It never occurred to me that it might make any difference which settings file you put any particular entry in - I thought it just read them all and applied the whole set.

0 Likes