Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Preferences greyed out in OS X

Preferences greyed out in OS X

Postby slideaway on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:18 pm

I've been having this issue where the preferences menu is greyed out for me. I didn't realize it was an issue until a co-worker installed Sublime Text 2 and his preference menu worked fine. I've used Sublime for a long time now and this isn't a new thing, I just dismissed it as maybe as an unimplemented beta feature, but now having seen it function elsewhere I would like to know a fix. I deleted my Sublime app and preferences and reinstalled and still no preferences.
slideaway

Re: Preferences greyed out in OS X

Postby C0D312 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Try pressing command+shift+p. Then type "preferences." There should be a list of commands to choose from. There is no Preference menu per se in sublime. There are JSON files that control your personal settings. Make sure you are running the latest build. If all else fails, try reverting to a fresh state: http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html
C0D312

Postby slideaway on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:22 pm

That is bizarre then. My co-worker installed the app fresh last week and he definitely has a menu with numerous options in it. He could select what theme he wanted to use. When you selected a preference it would open a json file, but at least it did that. The shortkey you mentioned did allow me to find the preference files, but it's definitely not the same way as my co-worker has available to him. We checked and it's all the same version too. Really bizarre.
slideaway

Postby kakubei on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:17 am

This is true! Up until today my Preferences used to work fine in OS X, you could even select your theme from them. This was working from the first time I installed ST2. Now they are greyed out. I suspect it might have something to do with Ruby (please correct me here). I had to fight with it, reinstall it and Rails and gems in order to be able to use the gems mysql2 package with MAMP.

This is the only change I've made to my Mac and now the prefs don't work, however I cannot be sure it was this because I didn't check the prefs for a few days.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
kakubei

Postby kakubei on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Now they've magical come back after a computer restart. Very strange.
kakubei

Postby MrMartineau on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 pm

This has been happening, on & off, to me ever since I've used ST2. Usually a restart (of Sublime) will fix the issue. Its annoying but I have learned to live with it - no idea what could cause it...
@MrMartineau || Setup Sublime Text quickly: Find out all you need at https://github.com/mrmartineau/SublimeTextSetup
MrMartineau

Postby slideaway on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm going to drudge this topic back up again. Has there been any headway on this issue? I have never had a preferences menu not greyed out for me in Sublime. Is there some reason or fix for this? All my co-workers have installed Sublime without issue and have it, yet I don't. I've uninstalled and done a clean install of Sublime and still nothing. As it's a work machine I don't really have the option of doing a fresh OS install, nor do I really wish to go to those lengths to fix something so minor.
slideaway

Postby jps on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 am

slideaway: Did you try following the instructions at http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html?
jps
Site Admin

Postby facelessuser on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:22 am

I get this too, and it is specifically an OSX issue. It only happens sometimes. Usually if I restart sublime it goes away. It is kind of annoying.
facelessuser

Postby svenax on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 am

Yes, I've seen it happening on and off too. Somewhat irritating, but at least for me it is not a big thing, since I just open the Packages/User folder directly anyways.

Would be nice if it was fixed eventually though.
svenax

Next

Return to Technical Support