Sublime Forum

Files opened over sidebar open in the same window w/o tabs

Platforms: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8, Ubuntu 11.04
Sublime Text 2 beta 2127

• Open a folder in Sublime
  • Click several files in the sidebar to open: They will all open in the same window but without tabs (at least on my machine). When “View>Show open files” is active, they are not listed. It seams that the new file replaces the other in the window.
  • When entering at least one character in the current open file (i.e. the now modified file), Sublime will immediately create the required tab and will list the file in “Open Files”.

Is it a bug or desired behavior?

Updated description: Added platform and Sublime version
State: Solved (see replies)

0 Likes

This is by design, allowing you to explore your project without cluttering up the list of open files.

Double clicking on a file in the side bar will also assign it a tab.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]This is by design, allowing you to explore your project without cluttering up the list of open files.

Double clicking on a file in the side bar will also assign it a tab.[/quote]

i understand the rationale, but without an obvious visual indicator that this is happening, i must admit i found it rather alarming.

looking again, i see that the tabs all unhighlight when viewing a file this way. it still seems a little too subtle, though… i’m not sure what i would specifically suggest, though, to remedy that.

i guess i’ll just get used to it.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]This is by design, allowing you to explore your project without cluttering up the list of open files.

Double clicking on a file in the side bar will also assign it a tab.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. It is quite unusual and might be mentioned in the FAQ or sth.

0 Likes