Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Huge memory usage on Mac

Huge memory usage on Mac

Postby rretsiem on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Hello,

I posted this already in the "Dev 2131 build" thread, but since this happened also with older builds and also with the current 2132 that I'm using, I thought of start a new thread. (Original Post in Dev 2131 build thread)

I use ST2 for Javascript programming with normal not more than 30-70 files (excluding images) per project. I tend to have 4-10 different files open at a time, with most of the files have just a few kb of code.
I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.2 and normally have ST2 open for the whole day with sometimes 2 or 3 to 4 different instances (each with a project)
As mentioned in the other thread, after some time the memory usage of the process is pretty huge, currently it's 837MB and I opened ST2 10hrs ago.
The other thread mentioned that the root of this cause are definitely the custom packages, so I tried this over the weekend with custom Packages installed and without. I normally use only 2 Packages: SublimeCodeIntel and SublimeLinter. All the other stuff is pretty vanilla (another font e.g. of course).
But as I mentioned, even if I remove the packages from the directory and restart, the process claims more and more memory over the whole day.

I often do a full project search to find a specific string, but since I started with ST2 just a few weeks ago I haven't covered all the extra features and rarely use it for now.

For comparison, a few months ago I used TextMate for the same work and in most of the time TM didn't grabbed more than 100MB of memory.

So any help here would be really welcome.
Thanks.
rretsiem

Re: Huge memory usage on Mac

Postby rretsiem on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:51 pm

O.K. this way didn't seem to work to get support.

Is there another way on how to contact the support and get heard by someone of the dev-team?
rretsiem

Postby mickeyben on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:15 am

I have the same issue but it seems it's recent. One of the last update introduce a leak I guess.
I don't know how I could help there's no crash report (it doesnt crash, only terribly slow).
mickeyben

Postby jps on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:53 am

mickeyben: if Sublime Text is running slowly, it's almost always caused by a plugin. Please follow these instructions: http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html

rretsiem: What memory usage are you seeing when you don't have plugins installed?
jps
Site Admin

Postby rretsiem on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:27 am

I have exactly the same memory usage with or without plugins.
As I wrote in my (o.k. really long :-) ) first post, I tried it also without plugins a whole day, and had the same usage of memory at the end of the day. It was a fresh installation, without any other packages as the default ones.

At least for me, ST2 doesn't get slower at all, it' still working with the same speed as on starting a fresh instance. Maybe it would get slower if my system begins to use the swap-space, this could be also the issue for you @mickeyben?
rretsiem

Postby jps on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:07 pm

rretsiem, I'm afraid I have no insight on what may be causing this - it's not at all the usual behavior that people see.
jps
Site Admin

Postby TioBorracho on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm working in a rather small grails project (OSX + ST2) and today I realized that ST2 was using 2.5+GB of memory with just 4 or 5 open files!

I'll try to dig further
TioBorracho

Return to Technical Support