Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Typing very slow/delayed even on small files

Typing very slow/delayed even on small files

Postby ianfitz on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:09 am

Wondering if anyone else has seen this. I'm seeing typing be very slow, even on very small (10 lines) files. I type about 90wpm, probably faster in smaller bursts. I can be typing, and "get ahead" of the letters being shown on the screen. Love Sublime Text, but this behavior is really a deal breaker.

I tried the latest official release as well as the latest dev release. Saw a thread saying the Cobalt theme was the culprit, but I'm not using that Theme. Tried many different themes but all have this issue. I also tried completely deleting my Library folder for Sublime Text 2.

I'm running OSX Lion on a Macbook Air Core 1.8GHz Core i7...wondering if this is a Lion issue.
ianfitz

Re: Typing very slow/delayed even on small files

Postby stefanpausch on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 am

Mac Pro + Lion + Latest Sublime Dev : No Problem at all.

Maybe this is a Macbook Air Problem? - Or a problem with another installed software which runs in the background. Did you have a look at used CPU and Ram usage? - Maybe thats the culprit.
stefanpausch

Postby ianfitz on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:57 pm

CPU Usage < 5%, 1.3GB free memory :(

I'm also wondering if this is Macbook Air thing. Maybe something with OpenGL and the graphics card on the Air? It's an Intel HD Graphics 3000 apparently.

FWIW, typing in other apps is fine, including in iTerm which I'm guessing might use a similar rendering method as Sublime.
ianfitz

Postby ianfitz on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:19 am

Still happening on build 2138, anyone else?
ianfitz

Postby facelessuser on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:08 am

List your installed plugins. More than likely one is executing on every selection or modification and bogging things down. Not all plugins play nice. I am on Mac with no issues.
facelessuser

Postby r.forina on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:29 am

Do you have an open project with a lot of folders inside AND the SublimeCodeIntel plugin installed? If yes, that can be the problem.

CodeIntel will try to give you intellisense every time you hit a key, and if your project is big that can be an issue. I somehow reduced the problem setting the delay after which the plugin is activated. Just put this on your user file settings:

Code: Select all
{
   "sublimelinter_delay": 500
}

Hope this helps
r.forina

Postby ianfitz on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Appreciate the input, I tried making that settings change but it didn't help. Also, I confirmed that I don't have any project folders open, but am just creating a blank text document and still saw the issue.

HOWEVER, I just found a very interesting data point. If I resize my sublime text window to something really small like 300px x 400px, typing is crazy fast with no delay. If I then adjust the height from 400px to 500px, I notice a very slight but manageable delay if I type really really fast. If I boost the window height to 600px, now the delay is starting to get to the point where I occasionally notice it at normal typing speed. This curve continues, the point where if I make it full screen 1440x900, the slowness is as I describe in my original post.

Just for fun I kicked my native display all the way down to 800x600, however typing was still delayed even at that low resolution settings.

Really seems like the slowness corresponds to the size of the window/how many pixels sublime text is drawing on these green.
ianfitz

Postby peppy on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:16 pm

I can replicate this when running a 27" external monitor from my macbook pro (13" late-2009) and making the sublime window very large.
peppy

Postby facelessuser on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Has this been verified with no plugins? Until, this can be verified, I am sure this won't get much attention. It has to be proven to sublime itself and not a plugin.
facelessuser

Postby ianfitz on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:41 pm

Forgive my ignorance, how do I disable all plug-ins? I'm just running a stock install and haven't installed any plugins myself, but I'm assuming some come pre-installed may be auto-enabled? If so, how do I disable them? I'll keep poking around and see if I can figure it out, but I looked through all the File Setting/Global Settings text files, and didn't see anything about plugins or them being enabled.
ianfitz

Next

Return to Technical Support