Sublime Forum

Bug report: can't build with non-ASCII characters in $file

Greetings,
I don’t really know where to put this, so I’ll just leave it here and hope for the best.
(Just for reference, I’m using Windows.)

I’m using Build 2139 of the Sublime Text 2 Beta and I’ve encountered a very annoying bug:
when building a file, if the $file variable – i.e., the path to the file I’m trying to build – contains any non-ASCII character, the build fails.

Now, because my name contains a non-ASCII character, é, I pretty much can’t use Sublime Text 2 unless I place my source files outside of my account’s folder, which means I can’t put them inside the My Documents folder or even the Desktop.

For reference, the console displays this error (note: the character u’\xe9’ is the character é):
UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\xe9’ in position 39: ordinal not in range(128)

I hope you fix this for the final release!

0 Likes

Hi, I have the same problem when building my python sources.
I use Sublime 2.0.1 at Win x64.
The full error in the console looks like this:

Running python -u C:\MyFiles\Škola\Programovací seminář\Seminář 03\generovaniPolynomim.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File ".\sublime_plugin.py", line 337, in run_
  File ".\exec.py", line 154, in run
  File ".\exec.py", line 48, in __init__
  File ".\subprocess.py", line 633, in __init__
  File ".\subprocess.py", line 842, in _execute_child
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u0160' in position 22: ordinal not in range(128)

Note that this is similar but not the same as the problems in those threads:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7866&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2610&p=12019&hilit=unicodeencodeerror#p12019
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8032&p=33745&hilit=unicodeencodeerror#p33745

Hope you can fix that soon, making Junction points each time I want to be building something (which is the temporary solution I use) is a madness.

I also haven’t found the mentioned files with the lines in either the Sublime install directory neither in my Python installation (The files are in the second mentioned but lines differ.) Are they somehow generated from the python26.zip ? (Just curious…)

0 Likes

Maybe also this thread is related:

But I can’t see how to apply the solution proposed in there.

0 Likes

Strange build script issue witch latex