Sublime Forum

Minimap should not react when refocussing window

When I click into a ST2 window to reactivate (= refocus = make it again to a foreground window) it (in OS X), it happens that I do so by clicking into the minimap which moves me to a completely different location in the file. I believe that in the case of reactivating a window, the minimap should not react to a click.

0 Likes

Click on mipmap counter intuitive

Just wanted to chime in to say I’m having this issue too. It definitely seems not to be the intended behavior, since clicking in the body of the document while the window is out of focus doesn’t reposition the cursor.

0 Likes

This has been discussed multiple times, as recent as yesterday:

Here is Jon’s perspective on the issue:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3414#p16158

0 Likes

[quote=“nick.”]This has been discussed multiple times, as recent as yesterday:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3414#p16158[/quote]

This just shows that this behavior of the mini-map drives people crazy. The group of people that are not fond of this may be small in comparison to the people who like/don’t care, but it doesn’t make the minimap behavior any less jarring to that small group.

I will personally +1 every thread that pops up mentioning this; this behavior drives me crazy. The fact that it was optional in ST1 and is not optional in ST2 bothers me a little as well. I would like that same functionality in ST2 as well.

The people who don’t like the feature’s behavior may never get their request met, but you never know unless you make your voice heard. Many who complain are paying customers (me), and I believe they have a right to make their opinion know. Though, I agree, it should probably be consolidated to one thread. How long was the thread complaining about the icon? This is actually an issue with people’s work flow with the editor.

With all of that said, I think ST2 is an amazing editor, and I am very pleased with it, but here is hoping Jon will reconsider his stance on this issue.

0 Likes

[quote=“nick.”]This has been discussed multiple times, as recent as yesterday:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3414#p16158[/quote]

You’re confusing two different issues. The first (the first two links, and the one you linked to Jon commenting on) is how minimap scrolling should work. I’m OK with how it works.

The second (your third link, i.e. this thread) is inconsistent behavior when refocusing the window. Suppose that I have two applications open, Sublime Text 2 and Opera. I’m looking up some documentation in Opera and want to go back to ST2. I click on the ST2 window.

If I click in the text area, ST2 properly refocuses and discards my click (since the click was only meant to bring the window to the foreground).

If I click in the sidebar or the minimap, ST2 refocuses and then processes my click, sending me to a different part of the file I’m working on, or possibly even a different file altogether. This is deeply undesirable behavior and gets really annoying, since the sidebar and minimap are on the left and right edges of the window, and thus the most likely parts to be showing behind another application.

0 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you, would like to hear John’s take on this specific issue.

0 Likes

Scrollbars on OS X will scroll if clicked on while in the background, and therefore I believe that the current minimap click through behavior is correct.

0 Likes

Reasonable, though the clickable area of a scrollbar is far less than the minimap. Thanks for the comment.

0 Likes