Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

OSX alt key bindings inserts symbols

OSX alt key bindings inserts symbols

Postby jollyjerry on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:23 am

According to the docs http://sublimetext.info/docs/en/reference/key_bindings.html?highlight=alt

Option+<alphanum> should not be used on any OS X key bindings.

What happens by default with alt-alphanum is that a symbol is inserted. While this is the default OSX text field behavior, it'd be nice if it could be disabled so that more unix-like or emacs-like commands could be used. For example, alt-b (backwards word), and alt-f (forwards-word)

Is there a plugin workaround to this, or planned feature in future releases?
jollyjerry

Re: OSX alt key bindings inserts symbols

Postby C0D312 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:39 am

There's nothing that can be done on Sublime Text's side of things. This has to do with Apple taking control of alt keybindings. I don't know of anyway to disable those keybindings, but you can go digging around.
C0D312

Postby jps on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Feel free to bind them to whatever you wish, the recommendation is simply that plugins shouldn't bind to them by default
jps
Site Admin

Postby jollyjerry on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:53 pm

@C0D312 I'm not sure how iTerm or Terminal handles it, but they override the Cocoa text system and allow alt-<alphanum> to work without inserting a symbol.
jollyjerry

Postby jps on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Just to be clear: alt+char will only inset a symbol if it's not bound to any thing. If you make a key binding, that key binding will be run, and no character will be inserted.

The original poster is asking for something that already exists.
jps
Site Admin

Postby C0D312 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 pm

jps wrote:Just to be clear: alt+char will only inset a symbol if it's not bound to any thing. If you make a key binding, that key binding will be run, and no character will be inserted.

The original poster is asking for something that already exists.

Whoops. I should probably stop making up wrong information. :) What I meant to say is there is no way in OSX to turn off alt+[key]. But yeah, you can bind stuff to them. Sorry...
C0D312

Return to Technical Support