Sublime Forum

Linux opening new files from file explorer

When I open a new file from the file explorer and have Sublime open already, it opens another instance with all of the same files open. It says the config option “open_files_in_new_window” is only for OSX and it doesn’t seem to change anything when I set this to false. Anyone know how to send the new file to the already open instance as a new tab?

Really liking Sublime but not sure I can handle not being able to open a file from nautilus.

Thanks

0 Likes

"$ subl ." opens 2 instances

If you run Sublime Text from the command line, you’ll likely be getting a message about libgio (part of GTK) being too old, so single instance support is disabled.

0 Likes

You are right on the money. Thanks. Do you know if there is a way to update the library on Ubuntu 10.04 or am I going to need to update my distribution?

0 Likes

I’m experiencing the same issue (Ubuntu 12.04), but seeing no such errors on the console from which Sublime is invoked.

In fact, with --debug, I see this:

$ ~/bin/Sublime\ Text\ 2/sublime_text . --debug main.cc:1283 main startup, version: 2210 linux x32 channel: stable main.cc:1297 main executable: /home/ben/bin/Sublime Text 2/sublime_text main.cc:1298 main working dir: /home/ben/tmp/puz main.cc:1299 main packages path: /home/ben/.config/sublime-text-2/Packages main.cc:1300 main settings path: /home/ben/.config/sublime-text-2/Settings main.cc:1345 main Passing command line to existing instance

which would suggest to me that single-instance mode is working ok… but it still creates a new window.

0 Likes