Sublime Forum

Critical Bug: Sublime did not save (but indicated it did)

I was working on a port of some code (JavaScript syntax mode, if that’s of any value) when Sublime stopped functioning as expected. If I wrote the following:

if() {}

And then attempted to put a line break between the curly brackets, Sublime would display an error at the bottom of the screen saying something to the effect of not being able to match the brackets up and wouldn’t create the line break. After verifying that my code was sound and that I could create line breaks in another file even the syntax was incorrect I attempted to take out chunks of code to further diagnose the issue. I determined that a certain block of code was the culprit REGARDLESS OF IF THAT CODE WAS COMMENTED OUT OR NOT. I have no idea why on this - since I was porting code I was copying chunks of it from one file to another, so perhaps there was an encoding issue. Regardless, I decided to restart Sublime since I couldn’t discern the problem. I saved my files (with the hot key Apple+S) and closed the editor with no indication anything was wrong.

Upon restart Sublime appeared to have no indication of the saved version of that file. There was no trace of my last save. It wasn’t in the buffer, the file itself, or Time Machine. My best guess is that Sublime indicated that it had saved properly when it had never saved anything at all. Needless to say, hours of work were lost in spite of taking a great deal of pride in my incessant saving habits.

Sadly I have little documentation on the exact bug since I didn’t realize what was happening until it happened, and I’m not sure I can reproduce. If I can, I will post an update here with steps and exact error messages.

Specs

Sublime Text 2 Beta 2181

OSX 10.6.8

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB