Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Newbie: cannot launch editor because of Direct3D error

Newbie: cannot launch editor because of Direct3D error

Postby felciano on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi --

I'm trying to evaluate Sublime Text as an alternative to the E Text Editor, and am running into the following error when launching it:

---------------------------
Could not create Direct3D 9 Device. Please check that the computer has 3D graphics hardware, and you're not running inside a virtual machine. If you're still receiving this message after checking the above, you may want to let support@sublimetext.com know.
---------------------------

I have verified that I have DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) installed but am running on a Dell Latitude laptop that AFAIK doesn't have special hardware support for 3D. Is 3D required to run this app?

Thx,

Ramon
felciano

Re: Newbie: cannot launch editor because of Direct3D error

Postby jps on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:18 pm

You can try passing --opengl on the command line, which should let it run without a GPU, but it will likely run too slow to be much fun. If you turn off the minimap it may be ok.
jps
Site Admin

Postby felciano on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:56 pm

jps wrote:You can try passing --opengl on the command line, which should let it run without a GPU, but it will likely run too slow to be much fun. If you turn off the minimap it may be ok.

Yes, this worked, although it is slower as you pointed out. Is this likely to be a requirement for the foreseeable future?

If so, are there preferences that can be configured to run in "laptop-without-GPU-mode"? For example, tell it to launch with --opengl by default and turn off the minimap?

Ramon
felciano

Postby jps on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:15 pm

It will be a requirement for some time to come, yes. I'd like to implement software only rendering, but it will be quite some time before I can get it done.

Your minimap setting will be remembered, and you can specify opengl by defaut by adding the line 'renderer opengl' to Preferences/General Preferences.
jps
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support