Sublime Forum

Is it possible to monitor files without keeping them open?

I am using Sublime Text 2 with SASS and auto-upload on save enabled. When I edit a .scss file SASS updates the corresponding .css file, then Sublime detects the change and uploads it. This workflow is awesome, but it’s annoying to have a cluttered tab bar filled with .scss and .css files. Is there any way to enable monitoring (preferably for an entire directory) without having to keep the monitored file open?

0 Likes

I presume you are referring to the SFTP plugin since Sublime does not have upload functionality built in.

Currently the only way to upload a file on save when the file is saved outside of Sublime is to monitor it for changes with the file open. This is because monitoring the file is actually polling the file stats. Doing this for a folder of files could cause some major performance issues. I’ve been working on folder monitoring based on the watchdog module for Python with the SVN plugin, but there are still times when it does not work properly, so I am not yet ready to port it to the SFTP plugin.

0 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply! I finally got around to buying licenses for ST and the FTP/SVN plugin last week, completing my switch over from Dreamweaver and Coda. ST is a seriously awesome piece of software, but it’s these unfinished bits that get really frustrating because they interrupt my workflow so frequently.

While I have your attention :p, is there a way to turn off ST modifying multiple lines at a time (for example if I copy a line of code, paste it somewhere else, and edit it, the line that I copied from receives the same changes that I apply to the copied line)?

0 Likes

What about using a build script to upload the css file when the sass counterpart is saved? ST can be set to run a build script on save. I’m currently working on a solution for this using this theory but I’d like to make it known here just in case.

0 Likes