Sublime Forum

Crash when selecting file in a different pane

This crash happens when you have enough files that the drop down is shown for a layout pane. Drop down shows files from all layout panes, select a file that is loaded in another pane. Crashes every time. Running Sublime Text 1.2.2.

I love Sublime Text a lot but it’s things like this that make me hesitate to purchase a license at such a steep price. I would be willing to purchase beta quality software for half the price.

0 Likes

Thanks for the report - this will be fixed in the next beta.

0 Likes

few words on software. after all if you are visitng here i guess you have a clue or two with software development. software equales bugs. you pay a lot more for OSs which ‘updates’ every week with security holes and bug fixes. you pay a lot more on OSs which can loose your entire user data.

actually bugs are proportional to features, they can be cought by testing, by a strong community of beta testers, and last by the users themselfs. there are some bugs which doesn’t see the day of light ever.

actully look:
search sublime text forum for ‘crash’ 32 results
search e texteditor forum for ‘crash’ 460 results
search intype forum for ‘crash’ 55 results
search TextMate tickets for ‘crash’ 1060 results

sublime text is by far more stable than the others. moreover when sublime crash, all your data (even the unsaved) will be safe, since it keeps a copy of unsaved buffers you were just working on. and i can’t measure the tie-to-fix cycle and compare, but i know sublime bug-fix-cycle is few days and sometimes even just few hours.

if jon were to put an 100% bug free software we would never get the joy of using all those new stuff he brings, we would never get our feature request answered. software is a balance of features vs. errors, but this balance exists. bugs exists. if that’s holding you from buying this editor… keep using it as trial, no one stops you. but if you feel you are using it as your main tool for development, then please reconsider.

happy programming :smile:

0 Likes