Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

All Line Endings are coverted on file save

Re: All Line Endings are coverted on file save

Postby jps on Thu May 03, 2012 4:45 am

There is no way to avoid line ending normalization, nor will there be in the future. Support may be added to preserve CR characters, but this isn't the same thing as supporting mixed line endings: CR characters would appear as actual characters in the buffer.

Mixed lined endings are something that is going to create issues for many tools. For example, many unix tools won't handle it, and compiling code with mixed line endings in Visual C++ on Windows will result in incorrect line numbers in error messages.
jps
Site Admin

Postby tack on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:35 pm

jps wrote:Support may be added to preserve CR characters, but this isn't the same thing as supporting mixed line endings: CR characters would appear as actual characters in the buffer.

This would be perfectly fine for me. Is this possible yet? I looked briefly but didn't see any options or plugins for this.

It's not acceptable to code reviewers that my patches include changes to whitespace, and I'm not really in a position to make sweeping cosmetic changes to all files that have spurious CRs (and there are many). I can sort of deal with it with "git add -i" but it's an inconvenience so I'm hoping for way to preserve CRs.

Cheers!
tack

Postby tomeeec on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Unfortunately, missing the option, which can stop line ending normalization, is the reason to terminate my using Sublime Text. Why there is so difficult (for anyone) decision to choose system unmixed line ending? Is it really right way to give free hands to user what to do with his file?
tomeeec

Previous

Return to Technical Support