Sublime Forum

[Linux] How to install?

I know you can still use it without “installing,” but I was wondering if there were a way (in order to make it pinnable to the Dash/Dock/whatever.) The traditional method that I’m aware of (./configure) isn’t available.

0 Likes

just extract to a folder and create a launcher with location to binary =)

0 Likes

Thanks for the advice. :smile: I was able to make a launcher. However, I still can’t pin it to Gnome Shell’s dock. :frowning:

0 Likes

You should create a .desktop file. You can create one yourself using these instructions: http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/anatomy-of-a-desktop-file/. This will make it behave like an ordinary application.

0 Likes

Thanks. Putting it in .local/applications didn’t do anything though, I had to run Nautilus as root and copy it over to usr/share/applications. But now it works. :smile:

0 Likes

I just made a Ruby script to do the tedious work for me (copying the icons, creating a .desktop file, symlinking) because I repeatedly found myself doing this by hand. You can find it here: gist.github.com/3116392

You’re welcome to use it too if it seems useful to you, or fork it if it seems wrong. :sunglasses:

0 Likes

@Andrex You don’t mention your distribution, but if you’re on Ubuntu there’s a PPA which makes installation a snap: webupd8.org/2012/06/sublime- … d-ppa.html

Alex

0 Likes

I also have a gist that might be helpful gist.github.com/2963829

It’s a .desktop file (application launcher) with notes about the file format. And also instructions to set Sublime Text as the default text editor. I use this on my Ubuntu systems.

0 Likes