Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Slow Key Repeat

Slow Key Repeat

Postby njamesp on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm

The key repeat rate in Sublime Text is much slower than in other Apps. I am on OS X. Is this configurable? I don't see any options related to this in the general preference file.
njamesp

Re: Slow Key Repeat

Postby Giganic on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:24 am

Hi Mate,

Try going into your System Preferences > Keyboard and moving the slider under "Key Repeat" all the way to the right "Fast", that should fix up your problem.

Hope this helps!

Giganic.
Giganic

Postby shanebdavis on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm having the same problem on a MBP-retina. I have my System -> Preferences key repeat set to max and I still have this problem.

OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)
SublimeText 2.0.1 build 2217

Another user with the same problem:
http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/8 ... -osx-lion/
shanebdavis

Postby aziz on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Same problem here. mac book pro (normal display but mainly using the Apple Cinema Display) with OSX 10.8.1
PlainTasks: my opinionated todo plugin
tmThemeEditor color-scheme editor for SumblimeText and Textmate (code on github)
aziz

Postby arek1 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Same problem on my machine. Have set Preferences - Keyboard to max and in other apps is OK but in ST2 it is so slow.

If using ST2 with TextExpander snippet using function to set cursor in concrete position after expanding abbreviation it is totally unusable becouse coursor mouvement is so slow.

Retina MBP ML 10.8.1
arek1

Postby ben_d on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm still/also seeing this problem. The key repeat rate is DEFINITELY slower inside SublimeText 2 than it is throughout the rest of my system.
My system specs:
--Mac OS 10.8.2
--Sublime Text 2.0.1 build 2217

It also seems to be directly connected to the size of the window. When I have my window maxed out on my 27" display, the key repeat rate is obviously slower than it is when I make my window very small (c. 1/4 of the screen).
ben_d

Postby verticalforest on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:50 am

I've been having this problem for a while, and its been extremely annoying, but I think I've found a solution, at least for my machine.

I noticed that when I had terminal closed, the sublime cursor moved much more quickly. After further investigation, I determined that I by turning off the "blur" affect on the background of terminal, sublime would stay just as fast even with terminal running. This issue also only seems to appear when my mac is running on integrated graphics, so I'm guessing that it is a hardware limitation of the integrated graphics card that slows down the compositing process. Terminal also runs much faster with blur disabled, so I think I'm going to keep it off permanently now.

A few other interesting tidbits:
  • Sublime's performance only degrades when I set the terminal blur to above 62%
  • If the terminal window is completely covered by sublime, no performance hit occurs
  • Its less noticeable, a maximized, blurred terminal will also affect the scrolling performance of Safari and other applications
verticalforest

Postby tpneumat on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Same deal here. Terminal doesn't seem to have an effect. I actually had this same issue with BBEdit and it drove me so nutz that was the main reason I switched to sublime. Whats going on here? If nothing else, a text editor needs to be a fast way to manipulate text.
tpneumat

Postby hedefalk on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:41 pm

+1

Same problem in latest Sublimetext 3. Any official comment?

Thanks,
Viktor
hedefalk

Postby BUGMENOT! on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:54 pm

BUGMENOT!

Next

Return to Technical Support