Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Example preferences file?

Re: Example preferences file?

Postby jbjornson on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Obviously it's your prerogative to like or dislike the editor. Part of the reason there is very little documentation is because the editor is only a few years old (whereas vim and emacs are decades old). I've been using it for about 2.5 years and I honestly can't imagine working without it. I would suggest that you have some patience and discover the reasons why so many people are so passionate about using SublimeText. Changing the font in the sidebar isn't a necessity, so you should be able to still learn about the core functionality in the mean time. You might discover that some of the other features make it worth buying, even if it isn't as easy as you want to be able to change the sidebar. Hell, Jon might eventually include something that will help out with customization of SublimeText.
jbjornson

Postby ryaninmiami on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm sorry to vent on you like that. I really do appreciate your help.

Today I'm allowing one hour to figure out how to set the default indentation for Ruby mode to two spaces instead of tabs. I think that an hour is being very generous with the patience when we're talking about a tools that's supposed to be making me more productive instead of less. If I can't set the default indentation to two spaces within an hour then I'm deleting this editor.
ryaninmiami

Postby ryaninmiami on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Well, it just barely made the cut. Not due to good documentation, but because indentation settings happen to be the example in this file: http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/settings.html

Thank you again for your help with the "theme customization" (setting). I guess I'll be around for a least a little while longer. I was originally considering whether to purchase this editor for the developers who work under me but if I did that then I would become the guy who would have to hassle with all of these configuration issues for a bunch of other people and that is definitely not going to happen. Chocolat for them, I think. But I'll keep tinkering with Sublime.
ryaninmiami

Previous

Return to Technical Support