Sublime Forum

New to OSX, broke my Sublime Install

Hey,

I’m new to OSX.

This morning when trying to set up sublime on new Mac I dragged my Packages and Installed Packages folder from my PC over the top of my Packages folder on the mac.

We’ll things didn’t go so well, the screen was instantly filled with hundreds of error messages. I deleted the folders I dropped from the PC and rebooted the machine.

After the reboot, when I start sublime, its mostly broken with no packages folder.

Reinstalling sublime by dragging it back into the Applications folder doesn’t fix the problem.

Any advice how I can get a nice pristine install of sublime again on my new Mac?

Jay.

0 Likes

To get a clean install of Sublime Text, open up Finder and then press Shift+Command+G to open the “Go to Folder” text box.

Enter ~/Library/Application Support/ into the box and then delete the “Sublime Text 2” folder.

Then reinstall Sublime Text by deleting the original app in /Applications and then reinstalling it by downloading and moving the app back into /Applications.

0 Likes

I worked it out… gee they dont make it easy to get to ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2 in the finder.

Well, its easy when you know what you are doing I guess,

0 Likes

Oh thanks Watabou, I didn’t see you post. Thats exactly what I did.

I appreciate your help anyhow!

0 Likes

No problem. Apple actually made the Library hidden by default on 10.7 onwards for stupid reasons.

I access the ~/Library folders all the time so if you want, you can run this in the terminal (you can use Spotlight to find and launch it) to make the ~/Library folder visible again:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

The library folder will now stay visible…until the next software update which sadly reverts the setting. But you can set it again.

Alternatively, you can install QuickSilver or Alfred to just open the Library folder easily. Or from the terminal, open ~/Library opens the folder in the Finder.
:wink:

0 Likes