Sublime Forum

Sublime needs lots of work before I'll buy it

I like the interface for it, but it still needs some work. Just using it for 5 minutes, I’ve already decided I can’t buy it for these reasons:

• I opened a 500MB text file with about 10 million lines of text. The load time was horribly slow, it took about 2-3 minutes to load the file.
  • No CMake syntax highlighting
  • Can’t figure out how to add my own syntax highlighting (doesn’t seem that I can)
  • Settings use text files instead of UI, this is absolutely horrible.

I hope these get addressed in the future!

0 Likes

You can easily add your own highlightings, and one for CMake already exists.
I agree with the large files thing, though.

0 Likes

[quote=“adzenith”]You can easily add your own highlightings, and one for CMake already exists.
I agree with the large files thing, though.[/quote]

In the latest version I downloaded (2.0.1), there is no option for “Cmake” under Syntax menu. Also I haven’t found any documentation that walks me through adding my own syntax highlighting schema.

0 Likes

Here’s one:
github.com/jcowgar/CMake-Sublim … tmLanguage
google.com/search?q=cmake+t … tmlanguage

Sublime Text can use TextMate language grammars, so it doesn’t have its own tutorial for grammar-making.

0 Likes

0 Likes

[quote=“void.pointer”]I like the interface for it, but it still needs some work. Just using it for 5 minutes, I’ve already decided I can’t buy it for these reasons:

• I opened a 500MB text file with about 10 million lines of text. The load time was horribly slow, it took about 2-3 minutes to load the file.
  • Can’t figure out how to add my own syntax highlighting (doesn’t seem that I can)

I hope these get addressed in the future![/quote]

1. I have a lot of problems with Sublime slowing down on large text files too, so I agree with you on this one.

2. You need Package Control, an absolutely essential plugin for ST2. It’s a wonder why it’s not built in. But after you install it, you can just do Cmd+Shift+N and then type in install and then search for Cmake. The whole thing takes less than 5 seconds to install.

3. You can add your own syntax highlighting in the SublimeText/Packages or SublimeText/Packages/User directory. Typically, you will want to store them in the User directory if you’re writing a theme or if you want to write a syntax highlighting file for Cmake for example, you just name the file CMake.tmLanguage, define your highlights under there and save it in the folder SublimeText/Packages/CMake

4. In my opinion, the JSON format ST2 uses for its preferences are a big plug. Imagine having a big ugly GUI for 100s of preferences.

Also, nettuts recently made a great introduction to ST2 that includes it’s advantages, how to use Package Control, multiple cursors, working with Projects, etc. Give it a look: net.tutsplus.com/articles/news/p … ee-course/

0 Likes

I’m just curious as to why people would need to open such large files regularly? I’ve not had cause to do so, but I would expect it to take a little time anyway?

0 Likes

I see the text based prefs as a good thing. Btw, this is a code editor and I don’t know why a developer would be bothered by this. :mrgreen:

0 Likes

Well everyone can say that text for settings is better than GUI, but it’s all subjective. My personal preference is a GUI, I actually find GUIs to be more self-documenting and easier to learn. With a text file, I actually need to read documentation to properly change things and understand how to modify them. It’s also slightly more error prone as you are now introducing a syntax and you could damage your settings unintentionally. Just my opinion though, I don’t expect arguments :smile:

If I’m paying for software, I have to care about my opinions more than I would if it were free.

0 Likes

[quote=“Watabou”]

[quote=“void.pointer”]I like the interface for it, but it still needs some work. Just using it for 5 minutes, I’ve already decided I can’t buy it for these reasons:

I hope these get addressed in the future![/quote]

1. I have a lot of problems with Sublime slowing down on large text files too, so I agree with you on this one.

2. You need Package Control, an absolutely essential plugin for ST2. It’s a wonder why it’s not built in. But after you install it, you can just do Cmd+Shift+N and then type in install and then search for Cmake. The whole thing takes less than 5 seconds to install.

3. You can add your own syntax highlighting in the SublimeText/Packages or SublimeText/Packages/User directory. Typically, you will want to store them in the User directory if you’re writing a theme or if you want to write a syntax highlighting file for Cmake for example, you just name the file CMake.tmLanguage, define your highlights under there and save it in the folder SublimeText/Packages/CMake

4. In my opinion, the JSON format ST2 uses for its preferences are a big plug. Imagine having a big ugly GUI for 100s of preferences.

Also, nettuts recently made a great introduction to ST2 that includes it’s advantages, how to use Package Control, multiple cursors, working with Projects, etc. Give it a look: net.tutsplus.com/articles/news/p … ee-course/[/quote]

This is awesome info, thank you. I did get the CMake syntax highlighting package installed but I have no idea how to customize the colors, font bold/italic/underline settings for keywords, etc…

0 Likes

[quote=“void.pointer”]- Settings use text files instead of UI, this is absolutely horrible.
[/quote]

I was also super skeptical towards that fact. But after checking the possibilities to tweak the settings in so many ways I really love it. There are so many useful options, that it seems impossible to pack the into a GUI.

However, take 5 minutes of your time to watch that video and dig into the settings files after that:
tutsplus.com/lesson/installatio … -settings/
I guess you’ll be impressed after that :wink:

I highly recommend to watch a few other videos of that series:
tutsplus.com/course/improve-wor … me-text-2/

Additionally you might want to check this ressource:
github.com/mrmartineau/SublimeTextSetup

0 Likes