Sublime Forum

Option to prompt if file is edited outside of sublime

Hi all

I’m sure I’ve read conflicting reports about this but whenever a file is edited outside of sublime I don’t get any warning. It just silently updates the file.

Is there an option to switch this on somewhere?

0 Likes

Hi all - if this isn’t an option. What would be the simplest possible way of making sure files aren’t overwritten by other people or programs? I’d prefer not to have full blown checking files in and out and all of that but if that’s the only way then I’ll look into it.

Thanks

0 Likes

It is not an option right now, as far as I know. Who’s modifying your files?

0 Likes

I work in a team of two/three and sometimes we’ll open the same file on the network.

When we’ve used Webuilder, homesite and visual studio a prompt comes up if someone else saves the file. This shows either when the file is onfocus (after clicking another tab and clicking back) or when you try to save the file. At this point we simply turn around and see what changes were made by the other person. We all hit save every few minutes so there’s never more than a few minutes work lost. It doesn’t happen very often but without that prompt it could be dangerous. I know a lot of people check files in and out but that seems like a long way around in our particular workflow.

Personally I’d love this option or to find a simple solution. I’m currently only using sublime for css files as I’m the only one likely to be editing them. It seems a bit overkill to pay for the sublime license just for editing one file type when I’ve already paid for webbuilder where I can edit them all. It’s a shame as I love sublime!

Cheers.

0 Likes

Which filetypes are you unable to edit with Sublime Text 2?

0 Likes