Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

SublimeText Project Status?

SublimeText Project Status?

Postby jkw on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello!
First of all I want to say that I love SublimeText 2, best code editor I've ever tried.
I wanted to buy a license to support the development, but here's my concern:

• There was some issue when I tried to buy a license so I mailed SublimeText 24th October (11 days ago) and I still have not recieved a respons.
  • I tweeted SublimeText 24th October (11 days ago), still have not recieved a response.
  • Last version of the software was released 14th July, in 10 days that's 4 months ago, not a biggie but still.
  • Latest blog post was June 26th. Latest tweet was 28th September etc.

I'm really new to this community so feel free to fill my blanks here because I'm concerned.

Sorry if this post upsets the owner of the project or any user, I just want to find out if this is a secure card so to speak. I don't want to put hours into learning a new editor and become a part of a community unless it's ment to last. And since this is the first-ever ClosedSource project I've ever bothered about this is also a new part of my spare time since I usually only care about OpenSource projects.
jkw

Re: SublimeText Project Status?

Postby C0D312 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:53 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9630&p=38332

Jon's usually not very active on twitter but he gets around to his emails eventually.
C0D312

Postby freewizard on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 am

btw, last SublimeText dev build is Sep 20, which is stable enough for me.
using Sublime Text 3 dev in OS X 10.8
my ST packages: https://github.com/freewizard
freewizard

Postby bizoo on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 pm

I also began to worry about the future of ST2... :(

Some people (including Jon) said that the development of ST2 is still very strong, but we have no way to know if it's true.
I already seen too many promising projects/products suddenly stopped after giving false promises to theirs users.

When I start using ST (2 years ago), it was both the product AND the amazing developer behind it that convinced me to change my everyday editor.
The development of ST2 was very fast, with lot of nice features every weeks, and almost each build was perfectly stable, even in the Alpha days.

Now it looks like this project is almost dead:
- No "major" builds since months.
- sublimetext.userecho.com is a dead end. No triage/update/comment for 9 months now.
- Bug reports on the forum look useless.
- No blog or twitter update.

I use ST2 everyday and really enjoy it, way better than anything I tried before, but there are a few annoying bugs that really need to be resolved ASAP.
Hope we will see some news soon.
bizoo

Postby iamntz on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:03 pm

I also began to worry about the future of ST2.

After i was burned with E-text, i'm feeling the same. In a way.

On the other hand, I (still) have faith that Jon will eventually come out with something cool.

Sure, more transparency won't be bad though!
iamntz

Postby john_ferrier on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:03 pm

I have the same concern. I have been using the dev vesions for a couple of months and I really like it. The things that bother me from buying a license are:

1) The development of SLT seems to be less and less active - I am not sure the future of SLT.
2) There are so many bug reports in the forum and I am not sure if SLT 2 is still buggy.

So I'll keep using the dev version for while and see what happens.

JF
john_ferrier

Postby jps on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 am

There's a lot going on on the development side of things. The items I'm working on are not suitable for a series of incremental releases, thus the lack of dev builds.
jps
Site Admin

Postby iamntz on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 am

The items I'm working on are not suitable for a series of incremental releases, thus the lack of dev builds.

That's enough for me (at least for next month or so :mrgreen: )
iamntz

Postby bizoo on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:21 am

jps wrote:There's a lot going on on the development side of things. The items I'm working on are not suitable for a series of incremental releases, thus the lack of dev builds.

It looks like you don't want to give the actual development status and keep the surprise for the next big thing, well I like surprises (especially the good ones), so wait and see :o

But what about bugs ?

edit: Currently, the most annoying bug for me is this one:
https://github.com/gornostal/Modific/issues/9
It happens not only in this plugin and is probably related to regions with icon in the gutter.
This is a typical example:
bug_ST2.png
bug_ST2.png (172.05 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
bizoo

Postby john_ferrier on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Bug fix will become bigger and bigger issues unless Jon can fix them magically all at once in his big thing.
john_ferrier

Next

Return to Technical Support