Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Built-in FTP

Re: Built-in FTP

Postby ketone on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:27 pm

iamntz wrote:
but I still don't want to create a local development environment

Do you have one good reason for this?

I think I can have many reasons why I don't want to create a local development environment.

Say if I can't install a database or port 80 not available for apache or no disk space or it is not my personal computer or.......

That way, I would love to be able to edit files directly on my FTP server.

And I can have backup on my FTP, so I cannot mess things up too bad that I have no way to recover my changes.
ketone

Postby jimlongo on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:05 pm

I understand git and svn and the importance of version control in many projects.
However there are many instances of wanting to quickly edit a file on a webserver without the necessity of version control.
Just because some arbiter considers it bad practice is no reason why an app shouldn't be able to deliver that functionality.

I'm not familiar with Coda, but just to note ( as is my practice in fixing a lot of minor items on a webserver ), my workflow which allows me to edit live files works with Sublime as it has with my other text editor/ftp combo BBEdit and Interarchy.

With Interarchy, Get info on let's say .html files and set double click to open files in editor -> select Sublime.
When you double click a file in Interarchy it then opens it in Sublime.
When you do any edits and 'Save' the file it uploads it back to Interarchy.

That's it. Live file is changed.

hth
jimlongo

Postby tobi73de on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:18 am

+1

Yes please get the wbond.net thing into st3. I would pay the extra license costs with joy.

mfg Tobi
tobi73de

Postby adzenith on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:23 pm

tobi73de wrote:Yes please get the wbond.net thing into st3. I would pay the extra license costs with joy.

...but other people might not, so can't you just buy it from wbond?
adzenith

Postby tobi73de on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:05 pm

so can't you just buy it from wbond?

Thats the Problem. The sftp plugin for ST3 isn't availabel until now, but i need it for my daily work, so i have to stay with ST2.
Ok, for me it is a basic feature, like Align Plugins or Package Control, but i agree that other people dont need it and they are not willing to pay extra for it. That makes sense.

mfg Tobi
tobi73de

Previous

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests