Sublime Forum

[Feature request] draggable mini-map

First of all, thanks for such a great editor. Love it. Paid for it.

One outstanding request: I’d like to be able to click and drag the current view in the mini-map to quickly scroll through my document. Currently, if I click (and hold) within the mini-map, the current view will not follow my cursor as I move the mouse. The only exception to this is if I first click on the mini-map within the current view box. But I don’t see why this should be the case. I’d like to be able to click anywhere in the mini-map and have the current view continue to track with the mouse.

Here’s some context… sometimes I want to jump to a particular portion of my code, so I click in the minimap. But I don’t get the location exactly right on the first click, so I would like to continue to try to drag the view on the minimap and adjust the view.

0 Likes

I didn’t understand this request at first, but then I figured it out. :smiley: For a long time now I’ve actually wished scrollbar widgets in all programs behaved this way; if not for the reasons you describe, then at least to handle the times when you just miss the view box (or the scrollbar slider!) and start dragging, only to find you’ve paged up or down once and your dragging is doing nothing.

In all honesty though, it’s not that big a deal for me either way.

0 Likes

without click & drag in the mini-map, practically, i avoid using it… i end up using page up/down instead. currently, the mini-map is practically useless for me, and i would like it to be useful.

0 Likes

Agreed, I’d like this as well.

Also I think it would be nice if the view didn’t move when you clicked on the minimap to bring sublime’s window into focus/to the top

0 Likes

I don’t understand. If I click and drag with the mouse in the mini-map, the view **will **follow. Or are you guys talking about something completely different?

0 Likes

That’s because you are clicking within the orange “square”, if you click outside of that it won’t work :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

Am I right, that this feature works just great in Sublime 1.3?

0 Likes

I’m using the latest beta (20100217) and it doesn’t work.

Thanks to EJ12N for the screenshot illustration… click & drag works ONLY IF you first click within the orange box. If you first click OUTSIDE the orange box, the view will not follow the mouse as you continue to drag.

0 Likes

IIRC, this is not a bug, it’s by design:

Assuming you have “clickToScroll text”, if your file is big enough that the entire minimap will not fit in the screen, when you click outside the box, the box will not move at the same place as the mouse cursor, since the minimap has to scroll.

Being able to drag the box afterwards would be akward since the mouse is not over the box.

A possible solution that was discussed would be to force the mouse cursor to jump to the new box position.

See this (dead) old thread: https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/file-change-detection/21/1#p2967

With enough votes maybe Jon will consider implementing it :wink:

0 Likes

I rarely work with files so large for this to be a problem. One solution that feels natural to me is if the clickToScroll text is the setting: if the mouse button is held down, have the box continue to move toward the mouse cursor. There should be a brief pause between the initial click and the continued scrolling, exactly as Page Up or Down would be treated if held down.

In short, the mini-map view should always follow the mouse, if the button is held down in the mini-map. Please implement!

0 Likes

Ah, you’re right.

But if it’s a problem of accuracy, you could use the mouse-wheel to scroll a bit if you miss, oats & co.

I would vote against any “teleportation” of the mouse cursor as a solution. I’ve seen it in a couple of applications and it’s rather unintuitive imo.

0 Likes

bump This is still a feature I’d really like to see… no need to teleport the mouse… any chance this gets into a beta soon?

0 Likes