Sublime Forum

Future Proof ST3 (Wayland, ARM, GTK3)

I love ST2 and look forward to paying for the upgrade to ST3. That having been said I think it could be a lot more future proof:

I have several ARM devices in addition to x84/x64 devices and I currently can’t use ST on any of them. This includes a jailbroken Surface RT and a Exynos Chromebook. It would be great to be able to use ST on these platforms… at the moment I have to maintain ST and VIM settings on all of my devices to switch back and forth between.

Secondly, support GTK3 seems like an obvious feature. It’s pretty much everywhere that matters now, it would give us proper smooth scrolling, and presuming you don’t make additional x11lib calls by hand, it would give you Wayland compatibility for nearly free.

Thirdly, if GTK3 isn’t enough, Wayland is upon us! It’d be awesome to have a Wayland compatible build of ST.

0 Likes

droidedit is good for android, textastic great for ios, unfortunately I’ve found nothing even barely useful for chrome (everything wants you to sign up and share your website login data with them)

0 Likes

I’m considering getting a chromebook, and one of the facts that is making me shy away from it is the lack of a decent editor. If we could get ST3 working on a chromebook I would be very happy.

0 Likes

Here’s a guide :smile: arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/ … hromebook/

0 Likes

Within a year, a very large number of your linux users are going to be potentially using Wayland (KDE5 will be out a year from now, GNOME is already shipping with Wayland support).

So is Sublime going to adopt GTK3 or is it going to be basically the only application I use that has to fall back to XWayland? (Chrome, Konsole, media player, 90%+ of my other usage is already Wayland compatible except my most favorite Sublime Text).

Thanks for considering! :smiley:

0 Likes