Sublime Forum

Toolbar Please

I find it really annoying to have to click “File”, “save” every time I want to save my edits. I know you can do ctrl-s but I don’t want to do that. Someone invented the mouse now, this isn’t vi. I want to click a disk icon like every other editor to save. You can make it hideable like the sidebar. I like this editor but don’t want to do control-this, control- shift-that all the time. It’s easier to click an icon than remember a bunch of keyboard shortcuts. Some editors change the color of the icon or gray it out to let you know if the file has been saved or not. Also helpful. I can’t tell if the file has been saved or not with this editor.

0 Likes

Optional top icon bar

Buttons for ST? Hopefully that’ll never happen…

ST can do the same.
Preferences - Settings - User:

"highlight_modified_tabs": true,

Saving files via mouse?
Create a “Default.sublime-mousemap”
in the User folder of ST and use e.g.:

// Hold right mouse button + click left button once = save file { "button": "button1", "count": 1, "modifiers": "button2"], "command": "save"} ]

0 Likes

If a vertical toolbar can be added I would be greatly thankful, Some of us don’t use both of our hands in keyboard all the time, we sometimes need the other hand to keep the coffe in directions of our mouth… and some other drinks, food, pen, etc etc.

If the toolbar is optional, you can hide it, and will not harm you.

0 Likes

It would be awesome if there were some API so we could create toolbar-like things. That would be the best.

0 Likes

@tito You can still use the menu, if you have it visible, while you’re drinking coffee.

Another idea I’ve tinkered with (but honestly, I haven’t gotten used to it) is to create an a submenu in the menu that appears when you right-click, which you can then populate with your favourite commands.

0 Likes

@quodlibet - Not trying to sound harsh, but I know the difference between a menubar and a toolbar, and I’m requesting a toolbar, a vertical one :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes!, an API for the toolbar would be super awesome

0 Likes

Guys, we have whole regions without any API (e.g. sidebar?) and you dream about APIs for a feature that is not even exists? :mrgreen:

0 Likes

Yes! Less features, more APIs! :geek:

0 Likes

[quote=“highend”]Buttons for ST? Hopefully that’ll never happen…

Why, you can just hide it.

ST can do the same.
Preferences - Settings - User:

"highlight_modified_tabs": true,

Saving files via mouse?

// Hold right mouse button + click left button once = save file { "button": "button1", "count": 1, "modifiers": "button2"], "command": "save"} ][/quote]

How would anyone know that? It’s not intuitive. Ya that’s much easier than just clicking an disk icon.

Default.sublime-mousemap? forget it, too complicated.
I wouldn’t shell out 70 bucks for this.

0 Likes

[quote=“richl”]Default.sublime-mousemap? forget it, too complicated.
I wouldn’t shell out 70 bucks for this.[/quote]

Then it’s not for you.

It works for the rest of us.

0 Likes

I have recently made the switch from Ecplise to ST3 and am absolutely loving it! Thanks, well worth the money, I reckon.

I too support the idea of an optional toolbar +/ API. There are times when I am using ST and a browser for development. I need the mouse for the browser and if I just want to drag and drop something in ST (ie is faster than the keyboard) it means I have to drop the mouse, use the keyboard then return to the mouse. Much easier to quickly hit the Save icon on the way past. This is a really, really picky and minor complaint so take it with the requisite grain of salt! :wink:

I implemented the suggested Default.sublime-mousemap and it workes fine as another way to keep the mouse in my hand!

Thanks for a great product.
Murray

0 Likes

[quote=“richl”]I find it really annoying to have to click “File”, “save” every time I want to save my edits. I know you can do ctrl-s but I don’t want to do that.
…]
It’s easier to click an icon than remember a bunch of keyboard shortcuts. Some editors change the color of the icon or gray it out to let you know if the file has been saved or not. Also helpful. I can’t tell if the file has been saved or not with this editor.[/quote]

I really like the automatic saving feature[1], because if I save a new file, I have to type in the name anyway. Together with the unsaved tab highlight, it serves me far better than a toolbar.

[1]
Saving when window focus is lost. In the preferences:

"save_on_focus_lost": true
0 Likes

[quote=“highend”]
Saving files via mouse?

// Hold right mouse button + click left button once = save file { "button": "button1", "count": 1, "modifiers": "button2"], "command": "save"} ][/quote]

This worked for me on Windows and is really helpful. I am setting up my first Mac and this doesn’t seem to work. The reason seems to be that under Windows the context menu is on mouse up. On the mac it seems to be on mouse down. That is the only difference I can see. Anyway, has anyone got this to work on a Mac? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

0 Likes

A toolbar would be really useful. If you don’t want to have a toolbar, then it should be hide able. But this only addresses one of many disadvantages of not having a toolbar. For instance, I want to be able to toggle my sidebar buy clicking a button. Sure I can use the keyboard shortcut (and I do) but it’s a bit of a PITA.

A toolbar and toolbar API would make this already useful editor much more so.

0 Likes

This able from

I make a small changes it works for win

Unfortunately not so deep in development, otherwise could perform what is in readme file.

0 Likes