Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Chrome-less sublime?

Chrome-less sublime?

Postby mikeb on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Just dreaming of an even cleaner sublime window layout.
Attachments
chromeless-sublime.png
chromeless-sublime.png (132.62 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
mikeb

Re: Chrome-less sublime?

Postby jps on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:26 am

That looks sweet!

Without a title bar, there would need to be some other way to move the window, as well as minimise/maximise/close it
jps
Site Admin

Postby Darsain on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:36 am

Yeah, I have nothing to do I guess... :)

st_win_ui.png
st_win_ui.png (83.21 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Darsain

Postby guillermooo on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:41 am

Sweet! Is that a mock up or an actual theme?
guillermooo

Postby Darsain on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 am

Just a mock up. No way how to do that right now. Here is the more complete version with my dark theme. Also note that in window mode, tabs would have to be offset from top by 10-15 px so the window could be draggable.

st_win_ui.png
st_win_ui.png (82.05 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
Darsain

Postby n00ge on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:01 pm

That would be awesome to get rid of the title bar in favor of a google chrome like interface with tabs in the title bar area. Love the mockup.
http://twitter.com/n00ge
Sublime Text 3 dev builds | OS X 10.8.2 & Ubuntu 13.04
n00ge

Postby jbrooksuk on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 pm

n00ge wrote:That would be awesome to get rid of the title bar in favor of a google chrome like interface with tabs in the title bar area. Love the mockup.

+1 one for the Chrome/Firefox/Opera titlebar.
jbrooksuk

Postby mikeb on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks Jon, nice to hear you like it!

Darsain I like did with the top of the window and tabs. In fact that menu button at top left is perfect for windows/linux, and on mac that space can be used by the window controls and just keep the standard top screen bar. I'm also in favor of a chrome style window top. My only request would be to do something that feels less heavy in the windows/linux version of chrome and more like the mac version.

Here were my thoughts when I was doing that original mockup:

- I put the project at bottom of folder pane to give some indication of what the current project is.

- I moved the top of left pane down to align with the top of documents. It just feels visually crowded to have the pane aligned with top of tabs.

- I removed the window groups from left pane, because with tabs they are not necessary. I would say that there are cases where the window groups in left folder pane are a good thing like on small laptop screens, so please don't remove. For myself I can see using one or the other, but never both at same time.

- I removed the vertical and horizontal scroll bars, because with the mini-map they are not really needed. Again, I can see cases where I might want regular scroll bars as well, but never scroll bars and mini-map at same time, it's duplicate information/functionality.

* I've noticed that the mini map blocks out the entire window vertically below where it ends. Perhaps it could only extend as far as necessary, or perhaps it can be made translucent? Just a thought.

* One other tip others might be interested in. I have never been a fan of how wide the window borders are in vista/win7, they are just too wide, so I reset my window border padding to 0, and quite like it. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/trim-windows-vistas-bloated-window-borders/
mikeb

Postby daylerees on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Darsain wrote:Just a mock up. No way how to do that right now. Here is the more complete version with my dark theme. Also note that in window mode, tabs would have to be offset from top by 10-15 px so the window could be draggable.

st_win_ui.png

Love how the sidebar looks on this, hope there will be a way of implementing it in Sublime 2, as im on linux with a darker theme, the 'maceqsue' sidebar stands out a bit for me.
daylerees

Postby pjv on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 pm

that reminds me of the original BeOs look. it's great.

is there a way that the titlebar could still be there for moving, minimizing, maximizing, closing, etc. but it's 100% transparent until you mouse over it and then it fades into opacity?
pjv

Next

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests