Sublime Forum

ST2 Word Navigation

I still haven’t been able to upgrade to ST3 because it involves re-learning my keyboard habits.

ST3 is awesome. It also feels speedier. However, I can’t afford to keep lagging behind in programming because of differences in arrow-key bindings, so I keep having to switch back to ST2 after fumbling around. Please expose a setting to revert this back.

Alternatively, is there an API I can take a look at so I can fix this in a plugin?

0 Likes

I, for one, don’t understand what you’re talking about. Can you elaborate a bit?

0 Likes

@quodlibet The “Smarter word navigation” in Build 3019 requires a complete re-learning of keyboard habits.

To see what I mean, try this. Open a file in ST2 and navigate around with CTRL+LEFT and CTRL+RIGHT. Now open ST3 and do the same thing. Notice the behavior is much different.

What’s worse is that this new “smart” navigation skips over a lot of things I’m actually trying to navigate to. It also breaks symmetry. In ST3, CTRL+RIGHT then CTRL+LEFT doesn’t take you back to the same cursor position. ST2, and just about every other text editor out there does. So learning ST3 navigation it requires forming additional keyboard habits that are different from all other places you need to edit text. This includes other IDEs, native textboxes, website textboxes, Chrome debug tools, jsFiddle, Code Mirror, etc. Why isn’t this an optional behavioral change?

I’d really like to revert this “smarter word navigation” somehow. That way I can finally upgrade without fumbling around as I switch between editors.

0 Likes

ST2 and ST3 have the same CTRL+left/right behavior. Maybe there’s a plugin that’s causing the difference?

Try reverting your ST3 and seeing if that helps.

You may also want to look into the “word_separators” setting and the ctrl+left/right and alt+left/right key maps. (The later moves by subwords.)

Sublime does have a different way of handling how the cursor moves when you switch from ctrl+going in one direction to ctrl+going in the other. Basicaly, it makes a quick stop at the end of the word. Which is unsual but rather useful. I’ve been using Sublime for so long I forgot about that. Strangely, it never trips me up when using other editors. (But then, I habitually avoid writing more than a few sentences in anything other than Sublime.)

Alex

0 Likes

you could do it as a plugin by overriding the undo/redo commands (via on_text_command—“Called when a text command is issued. The listener may return a (command, arguments) tuple to rewrite the command, or None to run the command unmodified.”) and having an own stack/tree. then your plugin can of course also visualize this tree…

0 Likes

Joeyespo: check out sublimetext.com/forum/viewt … =3&t=17021?

0 Likes