Sublime Forum

Better file management

I love sublime, but the file management is a little pain in the ass and I’ve to use the Finder (on OS X) for it, which is annoying (IMHO Finder is a crappy implementation of a file manager)…

I would appreciate the following two functions in the project sidebar:

1. new file
  • create new file from context menu
  • instead of opening a new “untitled” file, create a new empty file and focus the filename field to (re)name the file directly after creation
  1. duplicate file
  • right click on an existing file
  • select duplicate file
  • copy the existing file and set the focus on the filename field to rename the duplicated file (w/o selecting suffix)

The suffix thing can be tricky, because there can be multiple suffixes (e.g. .php / .inc.php).

– domi

0 Likes

+1 on this, particularly the New File part. It’s a pain to create a new file right now.

0 Likes

To add on to this, it’s a bit of a pain to get the context menu to show up on OSX, particularly on the newer MacBook Pro. I have to take 2 fingers and press on the folder. If my timing is slightly off, the folder collapses.

What would be awesome is if you put your cursor over a folder or file, it showed a few icons that I could click to do common tasks.

0 Likes

Download Tito’s SidebarEnhancements plugin to get both of these features (available through Package Control or https://github.com/titoBouzout/SideBarEnhancements/).

• Bonus: control+t will create a new file in the current directory, no hassle.
0 Likes

The Sidebar Enhancement package solves this. I like that it’s not included in SublimeText, but handled by an optional package.

0 Likes

Fantastic! Thank you.

0 Likes