Sublime Forum

Filename in tab and git

I primarily use sublime these days, and ponied up for the license. Good stuff.

However there are a couple of sticking points that keep this from being perfect in my use case. I often find myself with 8+ files open. It’s hard to tell which file I’m in, and which file I need to go to when spelunking deep into large rails projects.

• The filenames get pretty long and all I see are a bunch of tabs with a couple of letters and mostly elipses. Attached screenshot. I’d like the option to have the tabs not squeeze down, but take up additional rows so I can see the full filenames.

• sometimes I have files with the same name in different directories. I can hover over the tab to see the full path momentarily, but it would be nice to have the fully path in the titlebar instead of just the filename.

And finally, what are the chances of integrated git capability? I’d like something with the ability to show blame inline with the code, and follow previous commits. My point of reference is the fugitive vim plugin: vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2975
Fugitive really is awesome, and would make sublime even more awesome.

0 Likes

Would it be possible to just not show the dots? Personally I’d rather have it show 2 or 3 character and have the rest cut off, than to show an ellipsis. It might not look as nice, but it’d be far more useful.

Another option might be what firefox did (does?) where tabs shrink to a certain amount and then they start to scroll.

Either way I sorta agree with eddyk that the tab title can be quite useless for tab abusers like myself :smile:

0 Likes

If you like to work with a lot of open files, then why not hide the tabs and just use the side bar? This gives a much better overview of the set of open files than any shenanigans with multiple rows of tabs, or spilling some tabs into a menu will.

With regards to discriminating between multiple open files with the same name, this is resolved in the current dev build - sublimetext.com/dev

0 Likes

I’ve tried vertical tabs in the browser but never liked it. I’d certainly prefer to not have the ellipsis or maybe an option to scroll the tabs, but it’s hardly something that I’ll lose sleep over.

0 Likes

Good point about using the sidebar. It didn’t occur to me since I have it hidden by default. Due to the large number of files, scrolling through the directory tree is not as useful as just doing the fuzzy search for me.

I’ll give the sidebar shot. But the firefox-like tab behavior mentioned by ajpalkovic would be a neat addition. :smile:

Thanks and props for the kick-ass work!

0 Likes

The way Chrome handles this is instead of showing the ellipsis, it fades out the title where it gets cut off. That way you have maximum space while preserving the visual cue which is good for usability. And actually, I think it looks better than an ellipsis.

0 Likes

got the update today. i agree, it looks better with the fade.

0 Likes