Sublime Forum

Plugin Update Manager

I have several plugins I use, but I don’t always check that they are up to date and I have the latest version.

It would be helpful if there was a way to automatically check the current version of a plugin against a master version.

It might be possible to do this by requiring the master be in GitHub or something similar and storing metadata on the client. Then, at start, compare the metadata against the GitHub master. If the current version is old, download the master version automatically.

0 Likes

I have to agree with the OP on this one.

Lack of plugin management is my single biggest complaint about Sublime Text. Using PHPBB to track plugins is inefficient for several reasons. This editor really needs a plugin repository and in-app installation system, as well as some peer review for the plugins that get submitted.

1. Post chronological order is oldest to newest. This is horrible for something where people want the latest information.
  2. You wind up having to read the entire (sometimes lengthy) thread about the plugin and then mentally merge all the changes it went through in an effort to figure out its current state in terms of features, outstanding issues, and platform compatibility.

Most modern IDEs that support plugins have made it an effortless affair. There is no reason ST2 can’t enjoy the same ease of use.

0 Likes

I just released Package Control (wbond.net/sublime_packages/package_control) a few days ago. It should have all of the features you are expecting,including automatic upgrades.

0 Likes