Sublime Forum

Show tabs / spaces when selecting text

Hi,

i would like to see tabs/spaces/linebreak when i select text (just like in textmate or e).
Maybe i’m the only one that likes this, but is this planned?

0 Likes

It’s on the todo list, but probably not for 1.04 atm.

0 Likes

An option to see spaces, tabs, and line-ending control characters is very handy, and is one of the (other) things I miss coming from SciTE. There are often problems with line endings when doing cross-platform development, and many tools are sensitive to them. Ideally it would be nice to edit a file in any of three modes: CR LF CRLF (Mac, UNIX, DOS) line endings. Plugins can certainly be used to clean up or convert line endings, as long as the editor is happy with maintaining the selected style.

0 Likes

You can see and change the current line ending type on the bottom right of the status bar.

Sublime Text doesn’t support files with mixed line ending types - it selects the most common line ending in the file as the line ending to use. There’s no API to change the line ending type from a plugin, but I’m happy to added it if anyone needs it.

(As an aside, line endings are normalised on load, so that from the perspective of a plugin, each line is terminated with a ‘\n’, irrespective of the format used on disk).

0 Likes

Yow! That was a fast feature addition :wink: – I guess I’ll have to turn View Statusbar back on! (I was looking for the line endings feature in the menus, so that’s probably why I missed it.)

The

feature means there are no mixed line endings in saved files I assume. This would make it pointless to show individual line endings.

So, I guess it’s just spaces and tabs we’d like to see; myel’s request and todo list entry get my +1.

Thanks!

– e

0 Likes

I just wanted to drop into this thread and say that I, too, would like visible spaces.

(I’m using Markdown, where trailing whitespace on a line can be significant.)

0 Likes

Big +1 from me. I am really use to seeing the white space characters at the beginning and end of lines. I don’t want to have to highlight text to see it.

0 Likes

+1 for me too, particularly regarding displaying end-of-line so that I can visually catch extraneous trailing whitespace. Textmate has Show/Hide Invisibles, which displays a subtle little gray character at the end of each line. I always have that turned on and don’t find it distracting.

0 Likes

This thread is from like 100 years ago… We’ve had the option to show all whitespace for a while now. :smile:
From the user file settings:

// Set to "none" to turn off drawing white space, "selection" to draw only the // white space within the selection, and "all" to draw all white space "draw_white_space": "selection",

0 Likes