Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Better way to edit Settings

Re: Better way to edit Settings

Postby isochronous on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Because of the way sublime text 2 works, there is no reason a third-party application can't be written to edit the settings and key bindings. Just like there are third-party mod managers for games (Elder Scrolls games, Diablo games, etc), it should be possible to create a settings editor application that just reads all of the appropriate .sublime-* files, compiles all the possible commands, and then provides a GUI for associating different keystrokes with different commands. Switching between global, syntax specific, etc modes should be no more complicated than selecting the appropriate tab.
isochronous

Postby robertcollier4 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm

I love that the settings are in a text file - it is so much easier and faster to find and edit settings.

Given that, I can see how sometimes a GUI can also be helpful for non programmers. AutoHotkey is a great tool that could quickly create a GUI that could read and change the values in a text JSON type file. But it will take a programmer to create the GUI - and the programmer probably prefers the text file so he/she will have little desire to create it, haha. Just learn how to edit the text file. :ugeek:
AutoHotkey SmartGUI Creator / AutoHotkey GUI API
robertcollier4

Postby franck on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:07 am

I also love json file for settings. Its simple, fast and efficient. Maybe people who find difficult to edit a json file should not use sublime text at all ?

I think the only thing that could confuse some people new to sublime text is to use "Settings - User" instead of "Settings - Default" for the customization.
franck

Postby sublimator on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:56 pm

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Previous

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests