Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

I Present To You: The Sublime Manifesto

I Present To You: The Sublime Manifesto

Postby C0D312 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:15 pm

This is a culmination of Ideas and Feature Requests I have either had myself or come across from this forum (some of which I have mentioned in posts that have been lost or ignored). It is more or less a vision I have for seeing ST2 improve and become more [new] user-friendly. Feel free to offer feedback, add to the list, or criticize my artistic vision.

1. Improve the sidebar:
a.)clicking a folder should add focus to the folder AND expand/collapse it.
b.)user should be able to select multiple items using shift + arrow keys
c.)users should be able to designate keybindings for when the sidebar has focus (example: command+d could duplicate currently selected file)
d.) there needs to be a visible indication for when the sidebar has focus (e.g. change color of selected folder/file)

2. Improve Preview Feature:
- Add visual indication of the view is showing a view or a preview. My advice would be to add an 'x' to the top right of the preview, which when pressed would close the preview and return the view to any overridden files. Perhaps add some extra drop shadow to add the impression that the preview is merely on top of the view and the previous file has not been lost (this can be confusing for new users).

3. The active view should have some type of highlight/outline to distinguish it from all the other views.

4. Better support for custom layouts. For example, some modifier keys + arrow keys could split the current view in the given direction. This makes more sense because rarely do I think, "I could really benefit from a 3 by 2 layout right about now." Rather, I think, "I wish I could easily split the view vertically/horizontally."

[COMPLETE] 5. Fix renaming: renaming a file in the sidebar should update the tab if the file is open. This is definitely the expected behavior and the current implementation is frustrating at best.

6. Add support for anything wuub wants because he put a goddam terminal inside Sublime! And I want to play with it :)
- This means adding Sublime.DRAW_RECTANGULAR_NO_BORDER

[COMPLETE] 7. New Icon. Now hear me out on this one. I know you might want to wait on that until a stable release of ST2 is out (as it non-beta) but there are implications. I know from experience that most Mac users are extremely conceited when it comes to icons and are willing to dismiss an app based solely on its icon. My recommendation is try a new icon and if people come to a popular consensus about another one, just switch. All this icon testing should be done on the dev channel as to not confuse users and work on rebranding your icon. *cough* You should definitely consider this icon by this amazing artist of whom of I have no connection to: http://boundincode.com/img/Portfolio/portfolio5.png *cough*

8. New website. You have many talented web-designers at your disposal who are willing to help. This is another thing I'm sure you planned on doing towards the release of ST2 stable. This would make the most sense because all the Sublime Text 1 stuff needs to be removed first. You probably don't need to have the default home screen showing Sublime Text 1 anymore.

9. Docs :)
I'd offer to help write some documentation, but I can only write sarcastically :)

If I missed anything major, I'll consider adding it to the list. This list is not meant to sound negative or condescending in any way. This is just the direction I'd like to see this beautiful piece of software moving in.

P.S. Whenever I say "you," I'm talking to Jon. That's right, I talking to you Jon.
Last edited by C0D312 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
C0D312

Re: I Present To You: The Sublime Manifesto

Postby sublimator on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:27 am

Nice list dude.

I like pretty much of all of what you said, especially 3,4 and 6:
C0D312 wrote:Add support for anything wuub wants

haha I want a repl! Don't care one iota about 7 but I'm sure lots do.

Hopefully the sidebar will receive a loving sweep like autocompletion got recently. Would be nice to be able to get the *open* files that are selected in the plugins. I don't think you can currently? You can only do it on files in the folders trees. If you click on a file that is open to target it for a command, suddenly it's focused in the Open Files or some Group \d and you can't do squat with it.

I've got a lot of thoughts on 3/4 but my stomach is grumbling.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby skaet on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:19 am

10. Ponies. Because everyone loves a pony. And Unicorns are a little harder to catch.
skaet

Postby iamntz on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:39 am

Project selector window. I want to be able to delete some old projects.

And yeah, ponies.
iamntz

Postby wuub on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Add support for anything wuub wants

I'm wuub and I support this message :-D
SublimeREPL via Package Control & SublimePTY dev/pre-alpha. Donations are appreciated, but not required :) Twitter: @wuub
wuub

Postby sublimator on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 pm

wuub wrote:I'm wuub and I support this message :-D

haha
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby MSch on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:19 am

So where can we vote on this feature to show Jon that we want this?
MSch

Postby jbrooksuk on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:32 am

I believe that Jon would have already read this topic :) He's a good man like that, I'm sure he listens - but he has a big list of things to do first I believe.
jbrooksuk

Postby Fed03 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:53 pm

my collegues have stopped to 1.4 only because in that version the minimap could be positioned to right or left.....
i agree in one thing: why take out a feature from an earlier version? it's better to let choose to the users.....
Sry form my bad eng but it's necessary
Fed03

Postby C0D312 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:12 pm

jbrooksuk wrote:I believe that Jon would have already read this topic :) He's a good man like that, I'm sure he listens - but he has a big list of things to do first I believe.

Yep. This is more or less things that were already mentioned across the forum that I believe deserve some attention. While everyone will have their hundreds of features to request, I tried to focus on bringing to light issues that hinter the average user from taking full advantage of Sublime. While not as confusing as, say, Vim, Sublime does have a learning curve. Making that first step as painless as possible is perhaps most important for Sublime to continue to expand. Additionally, the majority of feature requests presented on this forum are possible through a plugin.
C0D312

Next

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests