Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sidebar icons?

Sidebar icons?

Postby Naatan on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:02 pm

I've seen the ability to add sidebar icons be requested in several places but have yet to see any official response to the subject. Does anyone know if this feature is planned?
Naatan

Re: Sidebar icons?

Postby n8gray on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 pm

+1. Icons help! :D
n8gray

Postby midtone on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 pm

+1. Most modern code editors have this simple and useful feature.
midtone

Postby cvp on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:11 am

This is the only thing keeping me from Sublime Text 2. Please add sidebar filetype icons.
cvp

Postby hellysium on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:53 am

+1 filetype icons in the sidebar
hellysium

Postby stopiccot on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 pm

I will also really enjoy this feature. And it seems much more realistic than "terminal in a tab".
stopiccot

Postby atomi on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 am

Let me preface bu saying that my desire with this post is to be constructive.

I have no problem finding the files I need by the name of the file alone.
For example, even at a quick glance I can easily tell what each file type is in the following list.

moremoney.gif
moreproblems.jpg
Person.java
init.py

For you guys, is it difficult to tell file types apart in the above list without icons?
What else is there specifically that icons in the file tree will improve?

Again, very respectfully, the reason I ask is because I want to have a better understand on where folks are coming from here.

I feel that icons in the file tree will actually be distracting and potentially a point of controversy in regards to which icons to use - not to mention additional code to maintain for @jps.

I really like how clean Sublime Text looks without icons. In fact, I don't think I'm the only one that could probably do without the file tree all together as I almost never have it open. Icons or no icons, it doesn't bother me too much. But, I am still interested in hearing other programmer's thoughts.
atomi

Postby bizoo on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:23 am

atomi wrote:I really like how clean Sublime Text looks without icons. In fact, I don't think I'm the only one that could probably do without the file tree all together as I almost never have it open. Icons or no icons, it doesn't bother me too much. But, I am still interested in hearing other programmer's thoughts.

Agree 100%
I configured my projects to only show relevant file extension (it means a dozen file extension), so adding icon is useless for me.

I think people that want icon are the same that people that want their text editor does everything: file management, version control, sending mail, ...
I don't need another IDE, I want an universal text (code) editor, like ST2 is actually (and I hope it stay the same).
bizoo

Postby stopiccot on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:35 am

Of course this feature should be configurable, so people that don't like icons couild turn them off.
The truth is that Some people simply like to see pretty icons alongside with filenames. This is probably more an aesthetic need than a practical. Or they just got too used to this icons that now simple could live without them. And this is not a such complicated feature that we should complain about code maintenance for jps.
So it's just a tiny and from some point useless feature for icon-lovers ;)
stopiccot

Postby ahmednuaman on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:00 pm

atomi wrote:For you guys, is it difficult to tell file types apart in the above list without icons?

I find it difficult. At least make it an option to enable them.
ahmednuaman

Next

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests