Sublime Forum

View/Pane issues

Excuse me if this seems a bit rambly and imprecise but I can better explain my issues if I talk you through how I tend to work.

I essentially ignore the fact that any file not currently displayed in a view is ‘open’ and always use Ctrl+P to pop up the OpenFileInProject panel and type the name of the file I want next. This works beautifully apart from when using multiple panes. Let’s say I have a two pane arrangement, and file 1.cs is open in the left one and file 2.cs is open in the right. At some later point I’m now showing 3.cs in the left pane and I’m still working on 2.cs in the right pane, so the right pane has mouse/keyboard focus. I’m done with 2.cs now and want to open 1.cs again so I Ctrl+P to open 1.cs and up it pops, not in the right pane as I want and expect but in the left pane. This is presumably because it has previously been open in the left pane and is in fact still open in the left pane.

Ideally I would be able to open the same file in as many panes simultaneously as I want but It’d be very handy if the file I open with OpenFileFromProject is always opened or moved to the currently active pane.

On a related note, I used Brief many moons ago and I really miss the way it handled multiple panes. If memory serves, F1+Cursor would move to the pane in the direction of the cursor press, F2+Cursor would resize the current pane using the edge (if there is one) in the direction of the cursor, F3+Cursor would split the current pane in the direction of the cursor (so, if you have 1 pane and press F3+Right you would get 2 panes split vertically; the newly created pane would always have a new view of the file open in the previously active pane) and lastly, F4+Cursor would remove a split pane in the direction of the cursor.
Is it likely that this sort of thing could be achieved by scripting or added in? I’d be happy to spend some time looking at the plugin stuff if this were possible.

0 Likes

Thanks for remembering me how mouseless handling of panes may work. I just forgot but know I want it, of course immediatly :smile:.

0 Likes

:smile: Yes, it did work beautifully in Brief and it would be fantastic to have this in Sublime… Like I say, I’d be happy to look into writing a plugin if I knew it were going to be possible.

0 Likes

These sounds like great ideas. It’s not presently possible to do this via plugins, because the concept of panes isn’t exposed to plugins yet - it’s on the todo list though.

re: opening a file in multiple panes, you can do this with the ‘clone’ command, accessible via File/New view into xxx

0 Likes

Thanks - I’ve been looking for an editor that works as beautifully as Brief for many years - it’s probably mis-remembered beauty but still :smile: Sublime is sooo very close (and a lot better in some regards) and I think this extra pane-handling stuff would be fantastic. I’m very happy to hear you’re going to expose pane handling to the plugins. I can then get it working just as I want :smile:

Thanks for the pointer about File/New View into… I totally missed that somehow.

0 Likes

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any news on these feature suggestions at all?

0 Likes

Almost.

0 Likes