Sublime Forum

Better Pane Seperation?

Assuming you have sublime set to display 2 vertical panes, currently it displays the minimap with a grey vertical bar to the right, then line numbers then the text of the file, but there is nothing to the left of the mini-map and so the mini-map for the right hand pane appears to be part of the body of the left hand document. Does anyone else think that perhaps where should be some subtle visual separation of the different panes? As an example I took a screen shot of the current setup and did a rough mock-up where I moved the vertical grey bar to the left of the mini-map.

0 Likes

I agree that with your setup, it would be much nicer to have some kind of separator between the panes. Keep in mind though, that most people keep the scrollbars turned on, which themselves provide a visual separator between the panes.

0 Likes

good point on the scrollbars, I forgot about them.

0 Likes

A quick note that with the mini-map on the right and scrollbars turned on the separation issue is present. I guess this boils down to personal preference, and for me with the mini-map on the right(my preference) it is essentially a scroll bar and there is no need to have both enabled at same time. I also kind of like the way the mini-map melds into the document if you don’t put a border between it and body text. Regardless sublime is light years ahead of others and I really love it.

0 Likes

Regardless of the setup when you have the mini-map on the right hand side, the scroll bar does not provide separation any between panes. Here is a screenshot with mini-map on the right hand side and scrollbars enabled and we can see the scrollbar is to the left of the mini-map. Perhaps the scroll bar should be to the right of the mini-map or the panes themselves should have a thin vertical line separating them.

0 Likes

yes it does look odd that way, as if scrollbar is the separator and the minimap belongs to the right pane.

on a related note, with the minimap acting as a pseudo-scrollbar for short enough files, it’d be nice to be able to toggle horz/vert scrollbars independently.

0 Likes

A crude workaround perhaps but you can try this in the theme file:

size.tabGlobalBorder 1 (default is 0)

This adds a border between the view panes.

0 Likes