Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Feature Request: Integrated ftp/ssh/sftp support

Feature Request: Integrated ftp/ssh/sftp support

Postby samkerr on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:55 pm

I know that I can mount directories remotely using something like sshfs or as a network share, but it'd be really convenient if the editor could handle all the external FTP/SSH details itself.
samkerr

Re: Feature Request: Integrated ftp/ssh/sftp support

Postby jps on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:22 pm

I've got nothing against it, but given there are ways to edit files over SSH already, it's not high on the priority list.
jps
Site Admin

Postby jbuberel on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm

I have to side with JPS here - the ability to edit files directly over ftp and especially sftp is the primary reason why JEdit remains my primary text editor.

-jason
jbuberel

Postby myel on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:21 pm

i'm against that.

it should be done via plugins: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=740 is a really good start and winscp is one of the best sftp clients around.

sublime itself should remain a editor only, not a remove file manager/browser ;).
myel

Postby hoest on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:33 pm

myel wrote:i'm against that.

it should be done via plugins: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=740 is a really good start and winscp is one of the best sftp clients around.

sublime itself should remain a editor only, not a remove file manager/browser ;).

I agree! An editor is an editor, not a FTP-application.
hoest

Postby barty on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:52 pm

If it were relatively trivial, I'd vote for it, but I don't think it is. I think you're better off using a 3rd party tool, which will work with all programs, not just sublime.
barty

Postby neotoxic on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:08 am

hoest wrote:
myel wrote:I agree! An editor is an editor, not a FTP-application.

An editor is a editor not a Windows Explorer yet you would expect it to be able to navigate your local files and folders.
neotoxic

Postby SilentImp on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 am

I don't agree and join request.
ftp/ssh/sftp or/and SVN support would be fine.
SilentImp

Postby burn on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm afraid but the amount of issues I had with winscp actively and randomly refusing to upload files (inner unresolved mysterious bug) can and does completely ruin my work days. Now that I moved back to windows from the mac (where I was using textmate) and had the pleasure of working with sublime, I'd hate to have to switch to a horribly bloated editor just because it offers me the ability to manage projects transparently over FTP/SFTP.

Please do consider integrating FTP/SFTP features in the current editor (maybe simply stating in the project file the remote address and protocol). I really don't care how slow it can be, as long as it's a standard FTP/SFTP compliant implementation without all the useless sparks that ppl puts in their clients today.

It's a shame that winscp isn't 100% reliable for me but after a month trying to explore the issues in the winscp forums I'm at a loss and risk to have to switch to another editor for productivity. That would totally kill me, that much I love sublime now.

+1 for integrated FTP/SFTP support in projects.
burn

Postby protoplasm on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Have you tried ExpanDrive for Windows? On OS X I have been happily using ExpanDrive for some time and would hope their Windows version is just as good. It's not free, which may be off-putting, but there's a 30 day trial.

For what it's worth, I think that adding FTP/SFTP support is a big, big feature and has so much potential to sap resources whilst trying to get it right that I'd personally prefer if jps spent that time working on other areas of core editor. If I were to guess the biggest barriers to uptake at the moment, I'd go for a) UI for editing preferences etc. b) a friendlier method to install packages and c) documentation. Those are certainly the things that prevent me recommending it to some, less technical, people I know who are looking for a better editor.

P.S. I am not affiliated with ExpanDrive in anyway, in case anyone wondered!
protoplasm

Next

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests