Sublime Forum

Why no syntax hilighting for JSP?

I just saw this editor featured on Lifehacker so I immediately downloaded/installed it. So far, I REALLY like the look of it. However, there is one deal breaker for me–unless I’ve just missed it. I do not see any built-in syntax hilighting for JSPs. Is it downloadable for somewhere? Surely I’m not the only one who needs this. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Yes, JSP is JavaServer pages. I’ll give that a try–I’m just shocked that something as commonplace (at least in my world) isn’t included. I love the look of Sublime though!

0 Likes

Well, I downloaded that file and did what you said. When I opened a JSP file it recognized it as such, but the syntax highlighting was basically non-existent. It recognized/highlighted some javascript and some tags but didn’t highlight any of the Java code within the JSP like my other text editor (TextPad) does. :frowning:

So, no dice.

0 Likes

Ok. I’m a little confused. As installed, it comes with Java. Are you saying I need to replace something that was installed with this other bundle? I just added the JSP thing and it didn’t highlight syntax although it DID recognize it as a JSP file.

Oh and since it is contained in Java, would the JSP directory you had me create before just go away and now be included in this new Java bundle?

0 Likes

Ok. I deleted the JSP directory and put that file under the Java directory (it was not already there). When I opened my JSP file it looked just like it had before. It seemed to recognize/highlight a little Javascript code at the top of the file but in no way highlighted any of the Java/HTML code that makes up the bulk of a JSP page. It may just be that Textmate doesn’t have good support for JSP. That’s unfortunate, because I REALLY like the looks of this editor. But I just can’t live without the nice syntax highlighting of TextPad. :frowning:

Thanks for all of your help.

0 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I’m seeing too.

0 Likes

I’ll take a look at this in preparation for the next beta - I agree, JSP files should just work right out of the box.

0 Likes

Awesome. Another note of interest for Java/JSP programmers. It is possible to configure this application to work with curley braces ({ }) or parenthesis just like it does with square braces? I.e. being able to use CTRL-M, etc. to show blocks of code?

0 Likes

Nevermind–I see that it can be done. I found a forum post on it. However, it seems like this should be default behavior.

0 Likes

does that already… in default file preference u got…

# Set to false to not highlight curly brackets. This only takes effect if
# matchBrackets is true
matchBracketsBraces false

so just goto preferences > user file preferences and put that option to true…

matchBracketsBraces true

btw matchBrackets by default is true…so no need to set that.

0 Likes

Yeah, I saw that. I’m getting used to the way you guys do your configuration. So I guess the JSP syntax highlighting is really the only thing keeping me from buying this application. Do you guys have a Twitter account or anything that announced new versions of the product? I want to be sure to remember to check back in a few weeks/months to see if this is fixed. Thanks!

0 Likes

If you’re using the beta version (found here) it will alert you if a new version has been released when you launch.

Otherwise you can check that page or the general forums. jps makes a new thread for every new beta (usually titled ‘YYYYMMDD Beta’).

0 Likes

I’ve tried the latest beta version (that adds JSP syntax highlighting) and it just does not work. :frowning:

Here is a JPG with 2 screen shots. One is of Sublime showing that the Java code within the JSP is not highlighted. The other is from my current text editor (TextPad) showing what proper JSP syntax highlighting should look like.

bearspace.baylor.edu/David_Taylo … imejsp.jpg

0 Likes