Sublime Forum

Support for right to left languages

Hey,

Unicode shows the appropriate alphabet nicely but languages that are meant to appear typed from right to left still appear from left to right which means the letters look inverted. For instance in languages like hebrew/arabic and so on.

Would love to see support for it

Pavel

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this is not something the current text buffer implementation can support, although I’ll revisit it if/when the buffer gets reworked in the future.

0 Likes

I second this. Typing in Hebrew, the letters appear in reverse order.

0 Likes

Please note that if you properly support BDO/BIDI/RTL your app will be the only powerful editor that has these features that I know of, and I keep searching for apps every month or so that support such features. Of course there are many editors out there that do support such features, however the best I have found lack a powerful regex support and always come feature incomplete.
The only app that supports these features is Adobe Indesign, think premium price. there is vim, but it is not as easy to use as an os x based app, specially for regex involving those features; actually it is mind boggling process to do a regex in vim with such features. Talk about thinking in forming a regex (naturally LTR) in an RTL context!
I noticed that your reply was poster in 2009 and almost two years have passed since then. Do you still consider implementing such features? Should I hold my breath for them? I would appreciate it if you could shed some light on the matter or give some time frame, even if stretched, if such features would be implemented.

0 Likes

Hebrew/Arabic support is still very much needed!

We use TextMate and it does show hebrew properly, although editing hebrew is a different matter.

any word on that ?

0 Likes

This is something I will be investigating for Sublime Text 3. I still don’t know if it’ll actually get added in the end though. S3 is a long time away yet.

1 Like

I strongly second the request for RTL support here.
Great job on this editor!

0 Likes

I second that too.
for me, this is the only thing that keeps me from moving from my old editor to sublime.

0 Likes

+1 from me too.

0 Likes

Yeah, please code it and then reveal to me your secrets :smile:
I’m currently implementing this feature in pure Javascript based rich text editor.

0 Likes

+1 for me too. would be happy to buy the software if it had support for hebrew

0 Likes

+1 It very important feature to support rtl because of this many programmers limited in sublime text usage :frowning:

0 Likes

Yes! Please! I need RTL Hebrew daily! When will Sublime Text 3 get this feature?

0 Likes

[size=150]Just vote for adding RTL Languages here…[/size]

sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/ … s-support/

[size=150]They will add it if the votes reach 600[/size]

Thanks

0 Likes

cross linking github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/109

0 Likes

There is a huge community of developers who write in Hebrew.
Adding this functionality would be simply divine.

0 Likes

Check this guys >> https://github.com/praveenvijayan/Sublime-Text-2-BIDI

0 Likes