Sublime Forum

ARM build?

Not having an ARM version is embarrassing for this “high end” editor.
At least such mainstream devices like RPi should be supported as they are mainly focused on development.

0 Likes

RPb is “DYI” machine, you are blaming name of it’s creator if you want to install propiertary stuff inside :smile: Compile :smile:

0 Likes

*** +1 for an ARM build of ST3. Come on, just compile, what’s the big deal?** As long as it semi works. Just release it as a “mostly unsupported” version if you need to. Something is better than nothing.

*** Compiling stuff on linux is not hard**
I’ve just started running debian with XFCE on my Sansumg Galaxy N8000 tablet that has a ARMv7 CPU (Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9)
I just had to compile node.js from source on it. Wasn’t hard to sort out the build issues.

*** You are pushing users away**
Now ST users have to try other code editors. We might find a new code editor that we like more than ST (likely open source) then stop using ST on the desktop/laptop.

*** Think of the children and millions of people in the lower economic sectors**
Raspberry Pi has exploded in popularity, and ARM’s popularity is only going to continue to grow.

Think of the hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of Android users using Linux on their phones and tablets
More and more people are starting to run linux on their Android devices (native or chroot’ed). Just a single version of Debian in the playstore has over 100,000 downloads.

*** Think about it, really, its a no brainer.**

0 Likes

Who actually develops code for the RPi on the RPi itself? Last I checked, most people hook up their RPi to a bigger box and do all the code development there.

Also, can you name one other “high-end editor” that has an ARM build? Vi/Vim and Emacs don’t count as they are open source and have been ported to everything under the sun already. Let’s talk about other ones, like, say, SlickEdit (which I think is a more apt comparison).

Going back to phones and tablets, how many people do large amounts of serious code editing on phones or tablets? Those things are just so awkward to use, between no physical keyboard and tiny screen size, that I can’t imagine doing any significant code editing on one.

0 Likes

Have you seen this? It’s a change.org petition. It’s probably a good thing, it will be easier for people who aren’t registered on the forum to vote.

change.org/p/sublime-text-c … -3-for-arm

0 Likes

I was hoping for a ARM version for ultra-small devices, too :-S
But I do honor jps post and opinion.

0 Likes

+1 for ARM Raspberry Pi build. Would be awesome!

0 Likes

Wow it’s been years since this thread started. Are we any closer?
I’d perhaps even like a slightly cut-down version so it runs lovely and quick.

Does anyone know of anything similar that would run on a raspberry pi, to keep us going in the mean time ?

0 Likes

Bluefish works on ARM devices. It’s open source as well. It looks pretty good

Since Sublime haven’t bothered to make a low priority support version of sublime compiled for ARM. (LOL how hard could it really be… just compile, it’s not like it’s a hypervisor or anything)
For so long… I’m not waiting anymore. The world is moving towards ARM devices.

Bluefish site bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

Features bluefish.openoffice.nl/features.html

How to install bfwiki.tellefsen.net/index.php/I … g_Bluefish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cLyj14q850)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWaR9d3W2hw)

0 Likes

Am I allowed to bump this thread Raspberry Pi 2 is out now with the beautiful arm cortex a7 and sublime would be just sublime!

0 Likes

I originally posted to this thread a very long time ago.

At the time, I couldn’t understand why it would be a big deal to compile for armv6, for raspberry pi.

Now I know a bit more about arm architecture and suddenly I disagree less with the lack of sublime-text on arm, and disagree more with the very concept of how arm architecture works.

Unlike pretty much every other CPU anyone in public uses, arm has very little consistency between models, and in some cases you need to sign a non-disclosure agreement with the manufacturer before you can get any documentation at all on the proprietary bits. What’s more, being able to operate on one version of a chip doesn’t mean you’ll be able to run on another with a very similarly numbered chip.

There needs to be some sort of standardization and openness to the architecture before we can expect any vendor to port their products to it. Intel, for all its proprietary monopolistic nature, provides all the documentation you need and a consistent API to figure out what features a chip or chipset has.

For the record, I’ve stopped buying arm boards unless a better board is simply not practical for the situation. Unfortunately that’s unlikely to prevent arm chip manufacturers from continuing their haphazard and lackadaisical architectures and documentation.

1 Like

Really need Sublime Text for arm devices!

1 Like

Good to know Ken. I was planning on using Raspbian to be my IDE for development for my other PI’s. Using Sublime text because of the light weightiness compared to an Eclipse, or Intellij.

Guess it’s back to the drawing board.

0 Likes

Yup just quad Pi and Beaglebone would be nice. Orange PI would be a dream too.

0 Likes

Please, Orange Pi/ Quad Pi / A20 (cubieboard, banana) / Orange Pi, soooooooooo missing Sub on ARM. Ramp up the price, wgaf!

0 Likes

I’d like to change my opinion.
I’ve got some ARM devices here. Like different Pi’s,etc. and need Sublime desperately for embedded dev as this device switching is really annoying. I love Vi/Vim on the command line but for whole projects this is annoying, too. And I’m too lazy for cross compilation while setting up a whole new fresh product with a lot of testing. Most of the dev is done on board atm.

1 Like

+1 for ARM for Raspberry.

0 Likes

+1 for ARM for my chromebook medion s2015… with chrouton (chroot debian jessie), xfce and soon google play store it is the perfect portable machine for some development and scripting… would love to use sublime instead of pluma :slight_smile:

0 Likes

+1 for ARM

Im a crossplatform developer, so use sublime on macOS/Windows and Linux, and love it…
I really miss it when I jump over to PI and other SOC platforms to do some dev.

Id be willing to pay extra for it, or back a kickstarter project.

0 Likes

+1 for ARM for Raspberry

0 Likes