Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Virtual space

Re: Virtual space

Postby mark4 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:42 pm

did not see this thread before i requested virtual space.this is also make/break for me. i want to register, i cannot do so unless this feature is added. i am continuing to test the product but if a fix for this never materializes i will be forced to uninstall (i pay for software i use, i wont use software i wont pay for)
mark4

Postby benvenu5 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:49 pm

I agree. Sublime is amazing and I would love to have my entire department start using it, but we absolutely need this feature to do so. Add this feature and you get another 10 paying users!
benvenu5

Postby maug on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:12 am

Another vote for the "virtual space" - it is essential feature for me to seriously consider purchasing Sublime, which really appeals to my nerdiness.
maug

Postby jps on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 am

Support for virtual space will not be added to Sublime Text 2, however it may appear in a future major version (3+).
jps
Site Admin

Postby abathologist on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 am

I just realized how much easier writing ascii tables would be with virtual space, and then I got an inkling of its power; therefore I heartily +1 this request!
abathologist

Postby subsurface on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Yet another vote for virtual space. This combined with visual block mode ctrl+v would be "sublime".
subsurface

Postby jdlx on Sun May 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Just received a reply to my question over here linking to this thread.. count me in with +1. Sad to hear that excellent feature doesn't exist and won't make it into ST any time soon.

What about plugins.. could this feature be implemented that way?

cheers,
Jan
ST2 #2181 @ OSX 10.6.8 | @github
jdlx

Postby quarnster on Sun May 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Yeah, you could make a plugin that inserts the appropriate number of spaces.
quarnster

Postby idemura on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 am

Yet another vote for virtual space:)
idemura

Postby Bill Forster on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:54 am

Just adding another vote for virtual space. I have been looking forward to sitting down and evaluating Sublime Text 2. It sounded like a dream, one licence for Windows, Mac and Linux (I use all three). Fully configurable with Python. A pure programmer's editor. My initial impression was great, but then .... ahhhhhh .... as I down arrow I don't stay in the same column unless I am lucky enough that all lines below my start point are at least as long as my initial column position. Worse (much worse) was to follow. There is no way to change this horrible behaviour ! I am really struggling to believe this can be true. I believe I escaped from this primitive mode of operation for the first time with the Brief MS-DOS editor way back in the eighties. This is so fundamental. It's the difference between interacting with your code as a fluid representation of abstract ideas (good) versus interacting with your code as a list of jagged lines of text (bad - very very bad).

Edit later: Having another go today and I notice that if I go down down down down etc. the column change that occurs if I hit a short line is only temporary - if I reach a sufficiently long line the column position will revert to my original starting place. This is good and reduces my grief for the absent virtual space feature significantly.
Bill Forster

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests