Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

What's up with the sidebar?

What's up with the sidebar?

Postby ianstormtaylor on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:02 am

I honestly thought the sidebar wasn't being added to during the beta because it was being reserved as a post-beta feature that would entice people to buy at full price. But now the beta's done and the sidebar is still HORRIBLE.

No rename, no move, no cut/copy, no delete, no duplicate, no icons to quickly decipher filetypes, no drag/drop moving, no hiding certain filetypes, no showing hidden files. What gives? I have to resort to buggy third-party plugins or keeping Finder open to rename files...
ianstormtaylor

Re: What's up with the sidebar?

Postby phillip.koebbe on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:04 am

While the default sidebar is not as powerful as some would like, you *can* rename and delete files, and with a little bit of path trickery, move files around.
-- Phillip

Code: Select all
while self.living? do
    mistake = Mistake.new
    self.learn_from!(mistake) unless mistake.fatal?
end
phillip.koebbe

Postby bertocq on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:56 pm

ianstormtaylor wrote:I honestly thought the sidebar wasn't being added to during the beta because it was being reserved as a post-beta feature that would entice people to buy at full price. But now the beta's done and the sidebar is still HORRIBLE.

No rename, no move, no cut/copy, no delete, no duplicate, no icons to quickly decipher filetypes, no drag/drop moving, no hiding certain filetypes, no showing hidden files. What gives? I have to resort to buggy third-party plugins or keeping Finder open to rename files...

Have you tried https://github.com/titoBouzout/SideBarEnhancements ?
bertocq

Postby C0D312 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm

I believe that's what he was referring to when he said "I have to resort to buggy third-party plugins," though I have yet to encounter a bug.
C0D312

Postby ianstormtaylor on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 pm

I also think it's pretty crazy that I should need to install a package to be able to get any functionality whatsoever out of the sidebar.
ianstormtaylor

Postby bertocq on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:08 pm

C0D312: You are right, I missed that part.

Ian: IMO one of the strongest points of Sublime Text is that anyone can create a package to add any kind of functionality. So instead of complaining you can actually code (and even share it).
bertocq

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests