Sublime Forum

(osx|windows|linux) Color Scheme Editor (BETA)

I decided just to have the plugin manually download the zip file from github. I have an experimental branch that does this, but it is not currently threaded, so it freezes things up. I will thread it before I release it. It should be able to upgrade the binary when needed as well. But the point is, I can can have this work as a package once I clean it all up. Probably should be done by the end of the week if not sooner depending on how motivated I am.

0 Likes

I wanted to get this done, so I went ahead and finished it up.

Can someone try out the experimental branch? github.com/facelessuser/ColorSc … compatible

Linux is probably hit or miss, and most likely only works on Ubuntu. I know they were compiled on a 12.X Ubuntu, not sure if they work on 13.X. But Windows and OSX should be fine.

Anyways, if someone does try it, please report if there were any problems, or if it worked great :wink:.

0 Likes

Small fix posted. I wasn’t testing from a completely clean environment, so the installation didn’t fail for me. I have fixed the issue, and ensured the installation success message also displays. I have tested this on OSX and Windows, and it appears to be good. If anyone tries this please confirm it worked for you as well. I am going to polish up the binaries, and get this to Package Control soonish.

I will probably have to rename the package…I don’t think I am the only one to have used ColorSchemeEditor as a name…I can probably just do it in Package Control settings.

0 Likes

I assume you haven’t tested this on ST2 yet because there is no entry point for the plugin (only for ST3). Furthermore set_timeout_async is not available to ST and I’m actually not sure if just changing this to set_timeout won’t freeze ST for the download duration. A real thread might be necessary in this case, which on the other hand can not call specific API functions, but I don’t know which these are.

Anyway, I will look into this tomorrow and eventually do some updates for ST2 compatability or change the code to be ST2-only for another branch. I don’t really like that though. Also, if you don’t plan to support ST2 at all I would probably just leave it at that, assuming it works on my ST3 portable.

0 Likes

I will be honest. All new plugins that I am doing, I code from an ST3 perspective. I code for what I use, and I am using ST3. Many of my plugins that originally were supported on ST2, I have continued to back-port features and fixes to the separate legacy branches, but that will only be until ST3 is released. I won’t kill them off, but new features I will leave to others to back-port if they are desired. I have a bunch of plugins right now, and supporting them all for multiple platforms is a bit of work. Most of my new plugins have been ST3 only: RawLineEdit, QuickCal, EasyDiff, etc. Maybe I will make some donate buttons very prominent on some of my projects and see which ones people actually support the most. Maybe those I will support in the long term for ST2.

As for the plugin at hand:

• Using a real thread would fix that issue for sure; I almost did use a real thread, and I don’t mind switching to a real thread either (it really isn’t that much extra work to use real threads), but I took the path of least resistance last night to get the proof of concept out (and I wanted to try out set_timeout_async because I hadn’t as of yet).

• Also, I would need to abstract the requests for package resources.

• I think I would need to abstract some unicode stuff as well…pretty sure, there always seems to be some kind of unicode conflicts :smile:

I am not adverse to supporting this on ST2 and ST3 as a single branch. The tool itself already works regardless of platform (that is really 90% of the work). I imagine that once the plugin supports both, it really wouldn’t require much maintenance since its main purpose is to call the tool.

If you are feeling ambitious, I would gladly welcome help on getting it ST2 compatible. If not, I will take a look when I get some time. I will at least look at the threading issue tonight; I did take the easy way out on that one :smile:.

It is always hard for me to gauge how much real excitement there is for a plugin, so it also makes it hard for me to gauge how much effort to put in, so I always code for myself first and then others as my motivation allows.

Edit: If I am feeling ambitious tonight, I will see how far I can get with ST2 abstraction.

0 Likes

Now using the threading library.

Edit: I was wrong about the message dialogs. ST2 supports OK/Cancel dialogs.

0 Likes

pc-compatible branch now should handle ST2 or ST3. I have not tested it on windows yet, so there may be some file path issues. I will test it tomorrow when I get to a windows machine. It does appear to work on OSX though.

0 Likes

Small fix for windows now posted. Turns out opening a dialog in as a plugin is loading on ST2 on windows can cause sublime not to start. So a delay has been added before checking and prompting if a download is desired.

Good news is this works on ST2 and ST3 and has been verified on Windows and OSX now.

0 Likes

I’m sorry that I couldn’t take a look at it yesterday but I’m really busy atm and the spare time I get is spent in other ways than coding, even though I would love to. I’m hoping to look at it on the weekend but my workload is huge. (And it certainly doesn’t help that I’m continously adding more stuff to it, even though it increases less than before.)

0 Likes

No worries. Get to it when you can. I understand busy, it is the same reason why I have issues on my repos that have been open for months, it is also why this project hasn’t seen any recent development until now. I’ve been dragging my feet on completing this project for a while.

0 Likes

I tried in both st2 and st3 on Windows 7, have not tried OS X 10.9 or Windows 8 yet. I can apply changes to a theme but not save. When I do a save as it creates a monochrome theme.

When I use the 0.8 binary I have no issues and can save and save as though save as still creates a monochrome theme.

Bruce

0 Likes

[quote=“rgidney”]I tried in both st2 and st3 on Windows 7, have not tried OS X 10.9 or Windows 8 yet. I can apply changes to a theme but not save. When I do a save as it creates a monochrome theme.

When I use the 0.8 binary I have no issues and can save and save as though save as still creates a monochrome theme.[/quote]

Oh…wow. Hah, looks like a broke some stuff along the way. The monochrome theme is a default one that gets created when you don’t give it a theme. For some reason, I am dumping that during save as…I need to fix that. Thanks for the report! I don’t do a lot of save as, I mainly use the edit current theme, and watch my changes update there (by default it live edits a copy of the theme that it copies over to User/ColorSchemeEditorTemp). I don’t know if many people have been using this app, so development kind of slowed on this. I can get this fixed this week though.

OSX 10.9 appears to have an issue where it isn’t showing the menu bar items. Apparently there were some changes to Cocoa…I will play around and see if there is an obvious fix. I don’t know if recompiling on OSX 10.9 will make a difference.

I have plans to update some stuff for a 0.9 version. I will fix save as and post when it is finished.

0 Likes

Found the save as bug, it was sloppy on my part. But 0.0.9 will have it fixed. I will more thoroughly test the next one :smile:.

Still confused about OSX and wxpython on 10.9. No menu bar… :frowning:

Edit: Menu bar appears after selecting a different window and reselecting the app. Will probably be fixed in a new WxPython…but we will just have to wait for that …oh well. Everything else is moving forward.

0 Likes

After some more testing in Windows 7 and 10.9 I found if I open subclrschm inside of sublime I can not save changes (save grayed out), only save as but if I open it out side of sublime then save is available, after making a change.

I tried running subclrschm with sublime open and with it closed and the behavior was the same, it was only when it was called from sublime that save is inactive.

0 Likes

[quote=“rgidney”]After some more testing in Windows 7 and 10.9 I found if I open subclrschm inside of sublime I can not save changes (save grayed out), only save as but if I open it out side of sublime then save is available, after making a change.

I tried running subclrschm with sublime open and with it closed and the behavior was the same, it was only when it was called from sublime that save is inactive.[/quote]

This is not a bug. If you look in the settings file, “live_edit” is probably enabled. This is because, when you open subclrschm from the plugin, it sets sublime to use the theme you are editing. Every change you make gets saved automatically. Now, you might not see your theme file has any difference. That is because a safety feature: “direct_edit” = false. With “direct_edit” disabled, the plugin copies your selected theme to “User/ColorSchemeEditorTemp”, sets that as the current theme, and then opens it in subclrschm so when you make changes, you see the theme updating in sublime.

You can enable “direct_edit”, and then it will modify the original theme and not copy it. If you disable “live_edit”, it will not save after every change, and then enable the save option in subclrschm.

One thing that does not make sense is why I have “live_edit” enabled for “open theme with file picker” and “new theme”, since neither of these will be set in sublime. So I have changed this behavior and now ensure that “open theme with file picker” and “new theme” will override “live_edit” in the plugin regardless of the settings file value. This change has just been committed.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

0 Likes

That makes sense now. Thank you.

0 Likes

OSX and Windows has been updated to 0.0.9. Should solve current issues in regards to “save as” etc. and some minor ui updates. Ubuntu is lagging behind (having some issues with my VM) but I should have that one updated soon (by the end of the week).

0 Likes

I’ve been kind of away from Subleish stuff recently, so I haven’t kept up with this package. But if you need a real live linux tester, I have Ubuntu 12.04 on x32 and x64.

Let me know.

0 Likes

Getting error on startup “Color Scheme Editor: Problem comparing versions” in ST3, Win7, portable install.

Everything seems to be working regardless :smile:

0 Likes

@qgates Probably something went wrong on the upgrade. I assume the binary is there, and the version.json file is either missing or corrupted.

0 Likes