Sublime Forum

LaTeX Plugin - LaTeXing for ST2 and ST3

Hi,

after trying and evaluating several programs to write LaTeX files I ended up frustrated with the idea to write my own one. Before I started I thought about what I would like to achieve and one major priority is the cross platform support and a fast and efficient way to complete my work.

With the aim to complete my PhD thesis with it I wrote a plugin for Sublime Text 2. After playing around with the available LaTeXTools for ST2 I started to improve it but after a while I realised I wrote so much from scratch and added so many new functions that I basically created a brand new plugin.

Now I am at a position where I could need some **beta tester ** to improve the software even more and eventual add new features. Please sent me a PM if you are interested.

[size=150]The official website: latexing.com
[/size]
You can also give me some feedback here to the feature list below; what do you think?

• Full project support

• Smart fill of the following core commands: include, input, includegraphics, cite, bibliography

• Forward and Reverse search by using the synctec function

• “Goto Symbol” support, jump to any part, chapter, section, paragraph, label, input, include, subfile, bibliography, or LATEXing option in your LATEX file

• User defined temp directory and possibility to clean a build

• TeXLive, MikTeX, and MacTeX support

• Search for package documentation using “texdoc” commando line tool if available

• Count your words by using “texcount” commando line tool if available

• Internet Thesauruses and Dictionaries for selected words, for example via Dictionary.com, Pons.eu, or Thesaurus.com

• Bibsonomy.com support for references; import single reference, multiple references by tag, or all missing reference keys

• Support of the following packages: subfiles, cleveref, acronym, currfile

• Support of cwl files provided by the separate LaTeX-cwl extension

• Dynamic load of commands for included packages

• Smart creation of labels for parts, chapters, sections, paragraphs, caption of figures and tables

• Windows and MacOS X (Linux Version will be released eventually later, need some tester)

• many more …

Cheers
Chris

0 Likes

This is great! Also because the development on LaTeXTools has pretty much stopped. I think the fixes and enhancement in this pull request for Latextool are pretty important and should make it in a new plugin: github.com/SublimeText/LaTeXTools/pull/120

I send you a PM to test. I can’t see the feature list though…

0 Likes

Now the official website latexing.com is online, with a couple of screenshots, so I hope that helps to imagine how LaTeXing will work and perhaps motivate a couple more to help. The plugin will be released for the public soon.

Chris

0 Likes

Great, good to see another latex plugin.
Latextools sometimes drives me crazy…
Are you planing to make it “open source”?

0 Likes

Yes I had the same feeling with the Tools thats why I started LaTeXing a couple of month ago… :wink: Normally It should be relatively bug free because I am working with it for month and wrote several papers and reports but I am sure there are problem

I am not sure about open source, to ensure that it will be developed for years I may also choose a different way. If someone is serious interested in supporting the project, development, customise, complete snippets, commands please let me know. A bigger team could always be helpful!

github.com/Chris—/LaTeX-cwl is required for the CWL support, I will complete a manual about it the next week, if you would like to contribute… feel free.

Chris

0 Likes

I would also encourage open sourcing it. Pretty much all Sublime Text packages are open source and that is one of the great things about ST. LatexTools, for example, has 24 open pull request some of which are very significant contributions (and many more were already accepted before development slowed down).

What is about ST3 compatibility?

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for your opinion gregor.hoch. I will think about it but for now I will keep it close source and try to encourage some people to join the development and test team. I completely understand the positive aspects of open sourcing it but a LaTeX plugin is a huge project and needs more documentation and perhaps also to be closed for now. We can talk about that another time, perhaps you would like to join, if so just drop me a message.

ST3? Aye!

0 Likes

LaTeXing for ST3 is now available on latexing.com

0 Likes

ST3 support is great! I still didn’t get to writing this paper but it’s going to be my test case for LaTeXing and I will report back once I have done that. I also hope that the new licensing model ensures future development particularly after the experience with LaTeXTools‎. So just wanted to say that I support the move as a user! (the price could be lower but I guess that is also connected with providing an unlimited test version)

0 Likes

New feature are still coming, just check the website regularly for updates. The ST3 support is already stable and once the Package Control is available for ST3 it becomes easier to stay up to date.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes the license model is exactly for the purpose to ensure that the development will progress regularly and new features are going to implement based on user wishes.

Regards
Chris

0 Likes

Can’t login on your bitbucket mirror with OpenID (and refuse to use standard login on HTTP).

LaTeXing is broken on ST3, build 3046. I’m getting

reloading plugin LaTeXing.LaTeXing Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\schlaich\Sublime Text 3\sublime_plugin.py", line 73, in reload_plugin m = importlib.import_module(modulename) File "X/importlib/__init__.py", line 88, in import_module File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1577, in _gcd_import File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1558, in _find_and_load File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1525, in _find_and_load_unlocked File "C:\Users\schlaich\Sublime Text 3\sublime_plugin.py", line 671, in load_module exec(compile(source, source_path, 'exec'), mod.__dict__) File "LaTeXing in C:\Users\schlaich\Sublime Text 3\Data\Installed Packages\LaTeXing.sublime-package", line 3, in <module> ImportError: No module named 'LaTeXing.latexing.bibsonomy'

0 Likes

Hi!

You have to unzip the sublime-package file, and place the contents in Packages/LaTeXing. It seems that since LaTeXing contains pyc files, sublime doesn’t support the “new” zipped package approach.

Worked for me :wink:

0 Likes

I just saw that you are planing to include Mendeley/Zotero/CiteuLike Support in the next version, which is great!! As far as I can see, you are accessing Zotero through the server API, right? I am not sure what that means for the performance and offline work. Let me know if you are interested in accessing the local copy of the Zotero library. I could send some code for that.

0 Likes

I am getting all kind of debug messages in the console when I try to insert a citation. Below is part of the output. Is there anything I can do about it? Something going wrong?

0 Likes

Yes it is through the server api BUT the data are going to be cached online which makes it just possible to have a good working speed and also makes it possible to work offline without a problem.

Are you sure that you are using the latest test version? Before we are going through some error searching now?

Cheers
Chris

0 Likes

Server API with cache sounds awesome! This is really a great feature.

I am not on the development branch right now. Just the regular one. I will try with the development version an report back.

Another question: show_log_panel_on is supposed to hide the log panel when I format the document, right? But adding the option “show_log_panel_on”: false to my user ‘LaTeXing.sublime-settings’ file doesn’t do anything. Or am I putting it in the wrong file? Some more documentation for cite_panel_format would also be good. Just an example formatting because I also can’t find it in the default settings file.

Edit: Is it also possible to format the second line in the citation panel using cite_panel_format? LatexTools does that with an array such as “{author} {year} - {title_short} ({keyword})”,"{title}"]

0 Likes

Yes it is not working in the regular (stable release 0.7.6) version, this is just included in the testing version for now. I will underline that in the post on the website.

The behaviour of “show_log_panel_on” is also fixed in that version, that was a silly mistake in 0.7. Since the version 0.8 is close to a release I will leave that tiny bug in 0.7.

Sure it is possible to format the cite_panel with exactly what you said. This one is (should be) located in the default setting file:

"cite_panel_format":  "#{key}: {title}", "{type} ({origin}) by {author}" ]

Here also the documentation for the development version with a guide how to setup zotero etc…

Cheers
Chris

0 Likes

I am a little confused about the different versions of Latexing (my problems might also be connected to that).
I am still using ST2 for most of my work and the Latexing package is on version 0.5.8. Is that the most recent version for ST2 or does Latexing3 work in ST2?

The other question is about the oauth package required for zotero etc support. The only package I can find is oauthlib. I assume you mean that one?

Thanks!

0 Likes

and I follow: Now I tried version 0.8 in ST3 but I am getting this error when I am trying to compile with this setting “show_log_panel_on”: false:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS/sublime_plugin.py", line 524, in run_
    return self.run(**args)
  File "/Development/LaTeXing3/latexing/compiler.py", line 62, in run
TypeError: argument of type 'bool' is not iterable

When I remove “show_log_panel_on”: false from the setting files the error is slightly different:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS/sublime_plugin.py", line 524, in run_
    return self.run(**args)
  File "/Development/LaTeXing3/latexing/compiler.py", line 44, in run
AttributeError: 'LtxCompilerCommand' object has no attribute 'logPanel'

Also, I am ask for my license when I am trying to compile although I have entered one.

0 Likes

Hi Gregor,

after you asked the last time for the “show_log_panel_on” option (which is just available for the ST3 version) I was assuming you are on ST3. Indeed the new features are just coming to LaTeXing3 (also written on the website) which is the ST3 version of LaTeXing and working with Python 3.3.

The oauth libary is indeed oauthlib in the package control. I fixed that name in the documentation, sorry for the confusion.

Cheers
Chris

0 Likes