Sublime Forum

FlatUI Theme

Check out my new FlatUI Sublime Text theme

The FlatUI theme is designed to work with the latest development builds of Sublime Text, including Sublime Text 2 and Sublime Text 3.

Download it here: cl.ly/QXzt

Austin Condiff
@austincondiff

0 Likes

Austin, looks great especially on Win 8 where everything is almost flat now.

Is there a chance you can provide a dark variant I find it easier to look at for longer periods of work.

Cheers,
Sebastian

0 Likes

I would be happy to. I was planning to do other color variant sub-themes using the same form factor. What did you have in mind? The theme already includes a dark color scheme. Do you mean a darker interface namely the light sidebar?

0 Likes

FlatUI is my favorite theme + scheme right now. It’s very usable as-is. That doesn’t mean there aren’t items I’d reconsider, of course:

• The background color for a language embedded in HTML documents isn’t noted. For an example, see Twilight.

• Selected text’s background might stand out more. This might in some way be a function of how “current line” marking and selection work together.

• Prefer a darked background (like Twilight).

It’s a nice tough in FlatUI (and ST3, I guess) is that the theme works ok without depending so much on the scheme – they don’t interfere with each other.

0 Likes

@fburleigh: I brightened up the selection and darkened up the background. I am very happy with the results though subtle. I was a little confused as to what you are referring to on your first point.

Could you explain in a little further detail what you were referring to? Thanks.

I will also push an update relatively soon so if you would like me to make any revisions let me know and I will see what I can do.

I am also considering designing another sub theme using this same form factor, tabs, and icons. Any suggestions?

0 Likes

[quote=“acondiff”]@fburleigh: I brightened up the selection and darkened up the background. I am very happy with the results though subtle. I was a little confused as to what you are referring to on your first point.

Could you explain in a little further detail what you were referring to? Thanks.[/quote]

Sure! I took a screen shot to show you but the forum says it has no room for additional attachments. An easy code example would be:

• In a php file, a web developer likely has runs of HTML code:
<?php // top of php document

<html>
<head>
    <!-- this is all html -->
</head>
<body>
<h1>...</h1>

<?
    // But now we're writing PHP... 
    echo "Now let us have some PHP programming."
?>

<pNow back to html</p>

<p>We might even have some <? echo "php within the HTML " . $myvar ?>

</body>
</html>
// and the end of PHP
?>

I believe Sublime refers to this as an embedded language; color schemes have the option to color language language elements found inside the scope of another language. I don’t know the details, of course… Sometimes on the fora lack of support for embedded languages creates a bit of support confusion when programmers wonder why their well-crafted JS or another language doesn’t have its own colors. Turns out often enough it’s not that ST doesn’t see the “inner” language, just that the color scheme doesn’t make use of that knowledge.

Some other examples include SQL text within either PHP text or Java; HTML snippets within JavaScript strings meant to be echoed to the browser (that level of support would be wonderful but also beyond the call of duty).

Thanks very much!

0 Likes

Oh of course. Works for me… cl.ly/QdjM

Am I missing something?

0 Likes

[quote=“acondiff”]Oh of course. Works for me… cl.ly/QdjM

Am I missing something?[/quote]

We may be on different pages, as they say. :wink:

The text of myCoolFunction is syntax highlighted, but its background is (to my eye) the same as the background for the surrounding html text. I think if you switch to the Twilight color scheme you’ll see the difference I’m after: a different background – lighter, probably – that visually distinguishes embedded blocks from containing scope.

0 Likes

Oh right. Sorry, I don’t know where my brain was, late nights I guess. I updated it to look like this: cl.ly/QgGO

I will push an update to my theme sometime later today.

0 Likes

Update now available, be sure to pull from the repo here: cl.ly/QXzt

or download the zip here: github.com/acondiff/flatui-them … master.zip

There are installation instructions in the readme on github and in the zip. You will need to restart Sublime for the images to properly adjust.

0 Likes

Austin sorry for this late reply somehow I don’t get the notifications.

I mean a different variant with with less use of pastel colors but keeping the flat idea. I perfectly understand that it might be not a direction you want to go :smile:

Cheers,
S.

0 Likes

I’m getting an error message

"Error loading colour scheme Packages/Theme - FlatUI/FlatUI/Widget - FlatUI.stTheme: Error parsing plist xml: Failed to open file In file “Packages/Theme - FlatUI/FlatUI/Widget - FlatUI.stTheme”

Color scheme loads but images are not loading. I have restarted Sublime. Have not restarted the PC but will if it might affect it. Any fix for it? The .tmTheme file is in the folder.

EDIT:

I had skipped a step in installation and did not rename the folder. The images load correctly and it looks great, however I still get that parsing error.

0 Likes