Most plugins have a defined goal. They provide a function or two to serve a specific purpose, fill a particular niche.
Sublime Extras, colloquially referred to as Extras, is not that kind of plugin. It's a kind of dressing for the whole editor, giving numerous but small changes that stack up to make it a better editor to serve me. Hopefully there are some similarities between us, because if there are it'll be a better editor for you, too.
As such Extras does not try to be unique. There are plugins shamelessly copied and there is code ruthlessly reused. I have tried to credit all I can for the wonderful works that this derives from, but if any of this upsets or short-changes you just raise a complaint and I'll see what I can do. You might also wonder why some of my sub-plugins are just other people's with fewer features. Simply put, those features aren't useful to me and it's easier to maintain clean code when the cruft is gone.
Here's a quick list that doesn't really do it justice:
- Create a new cursor at next character, word or the end of the line
- Sane `add_next_line` command — don't "lose" cursors in the gutter on empty lines!
- A `find_all_under` that really works with multiple cursors
- Align your cursors across lines
- "Esc" that lets you choose which cursor to escape to
- Inline eval (Python) with format-able auto-numbering and multi-line input and output
- Repeat a macro a specified number of times
- Combine multiple commands in a shortcut with `run_multiple_commands`
- Keep workspace quasi-centered with "spacing borders" on above and below
- Split selections into characters and words
- Split selections by lines and remove blank lines from selections
- Keep or dump every nth selection
- Intelligently combine selections
- Store and retrieve selections
- Easily write any named Unicode character using Sublime Text's autocomplete
- Get loads of commands missing from the command palette into the command palette
See https://github.com/Veedrac/Sublime-Extras. The AnimatedPortableNetworkGraphics really show it off. Please do watch them before judging, for good or bad.
Some uses are obscure yet natural – the text "AnimatedPortableNetworkGraphics" was bolded using "split_selections_into_chars", the "–" from earlier in this sentence used the Unicode extension. It really does feel like a slightly-larger Sublime Text, and that's why it's Extras.
Thanks for your time; I hope you like it.