Sublime Forum

Highlight code remarks

Hi folks,

I’ve written a plugin which highlights special keywords like TODO, FIXME, WARNING etc. to visually support me at my work. It’s also possible to write a simple todo list with these (I’m actually planning to write some keyboard shortcuts, language file etc. like the todo plugin for TM has).
Please see the file header for additional installation informations.

Grab the code here:
bitbucket.org/theblacklion/subl … remarks.py

Hope you find it useful :smile:,
Oktay.

0 Likes

Sweet! I’ve been wanting to get one of these on the go for a while!

It would be good if the highlighting only occurred if there was a colon after the word, since I tend to type comments in capitals, this highlights it regardless.

0 Likes

Yeah - me too :smile:.
Do you know orgmode.org/ ? I’m currently wondering if I should try a shot…

I’m continuously thinking about improving this plugin. It would be nice if you could give me some examples on how you would like it to behave. I’ll try to make it more flexible to support your use case.
As for me I wanted to highlight just those capitalized words. But I could try to provide different regex patterns for starters and make it configurable.

0 Likes

That could be fun! “Headers” at the beginning of a file…

[quote=“theblacklion”]I’m continuously thinking about improving this plugin. It would be nice if you could give me some examples on how you would like it to behave. I’ll try to make it more flexible to support your use case.
As for me I wanted to highlight just those capitalized words. But I could try to provide different regex patterns for starters and make it configurable.[/quote]

Sure;

DONE:
DONE: Blah blah blah because I'm awesome

But then an option not to highlight if there is a colon, so:

DONE

Would not highlight :smile:

0 Likes

I’ve updated the plugin. New are:

• Several states are now grouped within “queues”.
  • You can switch between states via key binding.
0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]Sure;

DONE:
DONE: Blah blah blah because I'm awesome

But then an option not to highlight if there is a colon, so:

DONE

Would not highlight :smile:[/quote]

Hmm… plz take a look at the new code. Where could we change the regex to match your requirement? On a per “queue” level?

0 Likes

I’m unsure how to install this plugin. I copied the .py file into my User directory (on Windows %AppData%\Sublime Text 2\Packages\User) where it was automatically compiled to an .pyc file. I also added the Shortcuts into my user-shortcut file and edited my color scheme by adding the code you provided in the file. Do I have to do anything else to enable highlighting (e.g. in JavaScript code)?

0 Likes

Check if there is any error message in the Console using Ctrl ’ (apostrophe).
Does the plug-in work for languages other than JavaScript?
Try changing the key-bindings to something else temporarily, as perhaps another plug-in is using alt-down/up.

There are commands you can enter into the console to log commands, and/or key-strokes.

sublime.log_input(True) sublime.log_commands(True)

0 Likes

Okay. The key bindings seem to be binded correctly:

key evt: alt+up command: highlight_code_remarks_switch {"direction": -1} key evt: alt+down command: highlight_code_remarks_switch {"direction": 1}
Unfortunately there seems to be an error in the script during startup:

Reloading plugin C:\Users\visionsbox\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\User\highlight_code_remarks.py Traceback (most recent call last): File ".\sublime_plugin.py", line 62, in reload_plugin File ".\highlight_code_remarks.py", line 143, in <module> from support.view import DeferedViewListener ImportError: No module named support.view
May I have missed any dependencies apart from the obvious ones (I’m currently using Sublime Text 2 Build 2210)?

Edit:
Is it necessary to define how comments are written in my coding language? In JavaScript you open a single line comment with double slashes (// comment) and a multi line comment with a slash-star (/* comment */).

As you requested, I also tried to add a remark to your Python file to ensure it is no problem only appearing in JavaScript code. I’m not common to Python code, but I think something like

# TODO: I'm just testing should have been highlighted as a code remark. Unfortunately it didn’t.

0 Likes

[quote=“EarMaster”]Okay. The key bindings seem to be binded correctly:

Unfortunately there seems to be an error in the script during startup:

Reloading plugin C:\Users\visionsbox\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\User\highlight_code_remarks.py Traceback (most recent call last): File ".\sublime_plugin.py", line 62, in reload_plugin File ".\highlight_code_remarks.py", line 143, in <module> from support.view import DeferedViewListener ImportError: No module named support.view
May I have missed any dependencies apart from the obvious ones (I’m currently using Sublime Text 2 Build 2210)?
[/quote]

This is not an error, you have to copy the “support” directory from author’s repository into your plugins directory. It worked for me.
This question answered at the author’s bitbucket repo.

0 Likes